Polybush damper mountings

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Polybush damper mountings

Post by Reckless Rat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:33 pm

When I stripped the suspension to have the hydragas on my 'F' re-gassed I also changed the slightly grotty damper mount rubbers for polybushes from Mike Satur. I can hear them squeaking continuously, which I presume is due to tightness in the lower mounts. Last night I notced that the handling had got very jiggly at speed on the motorway (80mph) so the question is...

Should I strip and lubricate with something akin to vaseline, or should I just back off the tightness of the mounting bolts to let things flex a bit more?

B

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Polybush damper mountings

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Did you torque to the advised setting or do them by feel?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:13 am

They are just tight. I think I'll have to undo the bolt, give it some what for with some PTFE chain lubricant I've got and then put it back together but not quite as tight as before.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:09 pm

Well today I have jacked the front of the car, removed the wheels and lubricated every single joint, damper mounting, drop links, wishbone rubbers, ARB and the top suspension arm has been regreased. Took it out for a spin and it's still squeaking. Bugger!

Going to take the bottom mountings off and will try levering the wishbone to see if the noise disappears at least then I'll have an idea that it's the dampers and not elsewhere. Watch this space

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

Problem solved. Removed the dampers and the squeak is in the dampers themselves. Nothing to do with the polybushes. New pair ordered.Can't really complain they are the originals and the car is 20yrs old and has done 110K miles...

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:42 am

A lesson for us all. Always look for an obvious cause first.

Reckless Rat

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:27 am

They are quiet as a mouse on bump, but squeak like a badly oiled door hinge on rebound. Problem is internal so into the bin they go. I have ordered a pair of Monroe OEM replacements from a French on-line parts supplier which come at 90€ the pair delivered.(£80 in UK beer tokens) That's a lot cheaper than prices given at UK parts suppliers so as they say in Cornwall "Proper job!"