High Level Brake Light Bulbs

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
rob5059
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

High Level Brake Light Bulbs

Post by rob5059 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:46 pm

I have a 1998 MGF. Two of the bulbs appear to have gone in the high level brake unit, i believe these can replaced but my searches on what type the bulbs are have come up with no answers. can anybody help please?

Thanks

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Re: High Level Brake Light Bulbs

Post by Bazzajay » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:23 am

The details should be in the Handbook, but don't seem to be. However, I have a 'Ring' Application guide which lists the bulbs as R504, which is a push fit 3w bulb. You would also have the alternative of the R501, which is the same fitting, but a 5w bulb.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:48 am

pop one out & take it to a local parts shop & they'll sort out the right bulbs for you.

or

From memory it's a T5 12v 5w capless bulb. I could be wrong though :D

The old one
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 1.8 l

Post by The old one » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:39 am

I changed mine a couple of years ago, when you remove the Hella unit the centre screw has a plastic security seal on it which has to be removed. The replacements I managed to source were Lucas 12v 2.3w capless LLB284. Hope this helps.