Should my Mgtf have central locking

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Should my Mgtf have central locking

Post by cococola » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:27 pm

I have just purchased a 2004 Mgtf 135 1600 and I would like to find out should it have remote central locking as I can only lock on the key.
The remote fob is a round type and there is no lock barrel fitted on the passenger side if this helps?
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Re: Should my Mgtf have central locking

Post by Tipper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:42 pm

The only TFs that didn't have central locking are the TF 115 1600. If yours is a 135 and with an 1800 engine then it should have it.

I don't think any TFs had a passenger key lock on the door.

cococola

Post by cococola » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:07 pm

Oooo my engine is a 1.6

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:20 pm

It'll be a 115 then with no central locking.

However having said that I believe some 1600 Special Editions, which MGR did every year to boost sales, did have equipment from other models. If, say, it was a Spark or Sunstorm for example.

cococola

Post by cococola » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:30 pm

Ahh so it looks like mine is non central locking model, Its the first car that Ive had for years with no central locking so I guess I will need to buy a kit of some sorts.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:08 pm

If it doesn't have central locking I would expect it to have a lock barrel on the passenger door. PM me the VIN and I'll check the build dat and confirm the exact model which should clarify the issue.
Nigel May
Vice Chairman, Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:10 pm

cococola wrote:Ahh so it looks like mine is non central locking model, Its the first car that Ive had for years with no central locking so I guess I will need to buy a kit of some sorts.

From memory it can be retrofitted, you might be able to find the parts if you look hard enough :thumbsu:

cococola

Post by cococola » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:27 am

Ive seen a kit on fleabay with motors and everything needed brand new and only £11.99
It would have been great to fit a control unit to do things OE but the kit looks best at the moment.
Really strange not having central locking as standard especially when we get used to it mate.
I sold my red Mgf for £2500 (98) which was great price and bought the TF for £800 with 30k less on the clock so will see how it goes.

daz
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:37 am

Have a google. If the wiring is in the doors i think you just have to fit the switches from a car with cl into your doors.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:57 am

Tipper wrote:The only TFs that didn't have central locking are the TF 115 1600. If yours is a 135 and with an 1800 engine then it should have it.

I don't think any TFs had a passenger key lock on the door.
Hi.

MGFs 1.6 was missing some other things - without being specific in an open forum (but you know what I am talking about) is it the same on the TF and would that potentially affect fitting the central locking?

Ash

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:10 am

As I understand it the later MkII F is electrically the same as an early TF, ie pre 2003/4, non-Pektron Fob model.

I don't know any more than that, sorry.

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Some more irons for the fire....

My old 2001 Y reg MGF mk2 1.6 115 had the old fob with a 'lock + unlock button' which actually only switched the alarm off + on. It took me ages and a couple of early morning alarms (sorry neighbours...) to suss this! Both doors had external key locks. There was no central locking.

My current standard non-special edition '05 reg MGTF 1.6 115 has the new rounder (plectron?) fob with lock+ unlock buttons which actually do lock + unlock central locking and set the alarm. The passenger door key lock is blanked off. But to confuse further, it also has electric mirrors, two horns, antilock braking and a glass rear screen - all from standard, I strongly believe.

cocacola, the blanked off passenger lock makes me think you should have c/locking. Perhaps the 2032 battery needs replacing and/or the fob needs to be re-synchro'd...I gather most non-c/locking 115s have the wiring harness in place, but I'm not sure...

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:43 pm

ArntyR wrote:Some more irons for the fire....

My current standard non-special edition '05 reg MGTF 1.6 115 has the new rounder (plectron?) fob with lock+ unlock buttons which actually do lock + unlock central locking and set the alarm. The passenger door key lock is blanked off. But to confuse further, it also has electric mirrors, two horns, antilock braking and a glass rear screen - all from standard, I strongly believe..
One thought - could it have been built after Rover went under? Assuming the glass screen is original then this is possible as it was fitted to very few cars. They might have put the best bits they had on the car and ignored the spec sheet or whoever did it wasn't familiar with what had to go on. The original 1.6 had manual mirrors (the interior was essentially the mk1). Anti-lock brakes were at the start an option (as was power steering) on the 1.8. maybe by this time they all had ABS?

ash

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Built 17/03/05 but MGR didn't fold 'til later? Or possibly a 'run-out' model? Those extras weren't on the bill of sale...
I agree that the TF 1.6 115 was supposed to be the 'budget model'

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Or maybe a P/O retro fitted the upgraded parts.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:27 pm

No. I'm really sure they didn't. Sounds arrogant, I know, but neither of the 2 p/owners were 'handy' enough imo.

The are receipts for the most simple of jobs and at expensive places where you 'shopped around' first. eg There was a £130 bill to replace a snapped bolt costing 1% of that - and the other owner paid to have a wind stop fitted + loads of autostore servicing, NO greased nuts + bolts that an enthusiast would 'do'...and autostores certainly don't!

Nope, I'm sure I'm safe in assuming that neither p/owner was enthusiastic enough. Self-fitted antilock braking? Noooo...)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Do you have the original bill of sale which should detail any factory and dealer fit extras.

Twin horns were dropped around 2003 so yours shouldn't have them.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:12 pm

Yes I'm looking at original bos....only extra was 'Supaguard'. No other factory or dealer fit items.

Twin horns totally match each other. ALB, electric mirrors, cent locking + original Pektron fobs, heated rear screen, no receipts for these and nothing on the original bill of sale.

Anyway, back to post 2... I haven't seen any TFs with a passenger door lock either. Perhaps c/locking was only absent on 115 Fs. Certainly it wasn't working on my 2001 115 F mk2. It had standard fobs with lock/unlock buttons on it(and key locks on both doors) but these fob buttons activated the alarm system only (despite new batteries and a couple of resynch attempts). There was no auto locking effect. Locking/unlocking was only avail with the key in the doors + independent interior lock buttons. (Totally at odds with my '05 115 TF which has normal c/locking activating the alarm normally seemingly from original factory build.)

cococola, tried renewing (Pektron?) batteries + resynching the fob? I can't specifically remember the method but it's on the forums...

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Roverlike » Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:16 am

If OP has Pektron fobs no re-sync needed.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:06 pm

Oh didn't know that. Is it true for all Pektron fobs on all TF's?