MGTF 135 from 2003 : 7 diagnostic error codes without starting engine and no solution

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ppo
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe

MGTF 135 from 2003 : 7 diagnostic error codes without starting engine and no solution

Post by ppo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:32 pm

My TF135 from 2003 is misbehaving. When I'm driving the with higher revs, there's no problem at all, but as soon as I start cruising at lower revs I have some misfiring and the engine control light is on. Also the A/C push-button light is slightly shining, even if the A/C is turned off.
PScan gives me following errors:
- P1185 J1979 FTS High-Fuel Pump Temperature Sensor HighP0563 System Voltage High
- P0563 System Voltage High
- P1539 Power to A/C Clutch Circuit Over current
- P0135 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
- P0130 O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 1)
But no error concerning the misfiring.

I changed the lambda sensor, the spark plugs and the ignition coils together with the harness and the leads. I also changed the alternator voltage regulation part. As I had some problems to pass the local emission test earlier this year due to a leaking fuel injector, I also changed the 4 injectors together with the corresponding harness.
I preferred to fit a new map sensor, as the old one wasn't looking to good.

After putting the whole puzzle together again, I connected the PScan and followed the instructions. With the ignition key on second position I read the following error codes:

- PO113 Intake Air Temperature Circuit, signal too high
- P0118 Coolant temperature sensor, signal too high
- P0122 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/switch A Signal too low
- P0553 Power Steering Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input
- P1539 Power to A/C Clutch Circuit Over current
- P0197 Engine Oil Temperature Sensor Low
- P0106 Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Range/Performance Problem

I checked again and again all the connectors and cables, but nothing wrong here. Also the voltage of the battery is more than 12V. But the A/C push-button light is still on. Dimmed but on.
Doing a second Pscan gave me the same errors. I wasn't brave enough to start the car.
I don't know what to check next? I only hope that the MEMS hasn't gone.
I'm thankful for every tip or help to get the Diva running again.

Cheers,
Pascal

Roverlike

Re: MGTF 135 from 2003 : 7 diagnostic error codes without starting engine and no solution

Post by Roverlike » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:03 pm

Can you first check wiring on left boot hinge and earth points? To me this more looks like bad earth or problem in wiring with some random errors.

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: MGTF 135 from 2003 : 7 diagnostic error codes without starting engine and no solution

Post by daz » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:09 pm

I'd agree with roverlike, the wiring on the boot hinge causes all sorts of issues

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:19 pm

Thanks a lot for your answers.
The wiring at the boot hinge was already repaired and lengthen once. Did a quick check yesterday and no broken cable visible. All the rear brake lights are working. Also the inner boot light, and the remote boot opener. Central locking works and so does the alarm.

What about the MEMS? Couldn't something been broken inside? I may contact Mark Stacey as he reprogrammed the MEMS years ago.

Cheers,
Pascal

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:24 pm

You can make re-check of the MEMS ECU, just to be sure, on safe side.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:58 pm

I'd check it's all plugged in, clear the codes and start the car, if it's broken it's already broken so this will confirm it.

Replacement ECUs are not expensive or difficult.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ppo
Regional Rep

Post by ppo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:13 pm

Have ordered a new remapped ECU from Mark. I’ll get it in Stoneleigh.
Thanks for your help.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:10 pm

Hope this helps - but otherwise the problem may be in the engine loom; in my experience MEMS3 (and MEMS1.9 and 2J) are tough ECUs that rarely cause problems... (but not never cause problems!)