Not sure ...... suggestions

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RN558
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: 1.8i (1996)

Not sure ...... suggestions

Post by RN558 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:07 pm

Strange thing happened today. Out for a run in the sun in MGF. Parked out in the countryside, took some photographs. Got back into car and started manoeuvring out of car park. Car gets stuck in reverse. Eventually got it out of reverse but can't select any other gear. Put it back into reverse and it stalls. Tried to start several times but feels like clutch is engaged and it stalls. After several attempts at re-starting and trying to select a forward gear I somehow found myself hooking a foot under the clutch pedal and lifting it up - started the engine again and could select any gear and engage clutch without problem. Thank goodness as it was a long way from anywhere !
Had a smooth run home without further problems - in fact when I got home reverse was easier to engage than it has been before.
Anybody else suffered anything like this and can suggest anything I need to have looked at ?

Roger

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Not sure ...... suggestions

Post by talkingcars » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:04 pm

Sounds like a stiff clutch arm, it needs some love.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:17 pm

From what you describe, the clutch seems to not be releasing. Is this a regularly used car ? Apart from a possible seized release arm, there is the release mechanism which is hydraulic, so you could have a failed slave or master cylinder. Depending on the failure, you could have clutch fluid leaking out, so any evidence on the garage floor at all ?

RN558
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: 1.8i (1996)

Post by RN558 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:27 pm

No fluid on garage floor. Car regularly used since buying it a month ago. Used to be hard to get into reverse, now is much easier. Been out twice since problem and no re-occurrence. Going to get hydraulics checked and look at pedal 'gear'.

Roger