Drive shafts?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Drive shafts?

Post by talkingcars » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 pm

How are the inner drive shaft joints held in?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Re: Drive shafts?

Post by flyingbanana » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:01 pm

It's like a spring clip, take it your having problems separating it fm the gearbox?

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:42 pm

Not yet, I was wondering how easily they came out if one lifts the engine and box out of the sub frame.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:05 pm

As Banana said, it's a circlip toward the end of the inner splined section in the differential. The special tool, 18G 1761, is basically just a wedge to prise it out ;)
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Do I need to roll the boot off?

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:34 am

Nope, the driveshafts literally just 'pull' out of the gearbox.

See my thread on gearbox removal- I have done just what you describe - pulled the engine out of the sub frame.

https://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewt ... ox#p152140

When you remove the gearbox by pulling away from the engine, the driver's side shaft comes away from the gearbox.
The 'trick' is to create enough movement to remove the passenger side shaft from the gearbox. I also removed the nut
off the ball joint on the other side the 2nd time I did it to just remove the gearbox.

This is achieved by removing the connection to the anti-roll bar and the upper ball joint nut and loosening the other suspension bolts.
Then there is enough movement to pull the driveshaft away.

This thread has precise details of getting that drive shaft out of the way.

I found the best tool to use ( without the Rover tool ) was the 'hub cap' remover that came with my 4 wheel drive. It's basically a big wide lever.
A wrecker bar or similar will do the job. They feel tight, but they come away with just the right amount of force.
Last edited by RobboMC on Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:36 am

I found once the sub-frame assembly was out of the car that I had to remove the gearbox first. I'm sure the factory probably put the engine and gearbox together first, then dropped it into the sub frame, but for a DIY like me it became too heavy to swing into place.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks for the info Robbo.

I have a three and a half tonne forklift with squeezie forks to lift the engine out of the subframe, the engine is scrap but the gearbox isn't.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:56 am

Hmmmm. That was my situation exactly.

Enjoy the process. I found it was actually quite straightforward once I had removed the silencer assembly
and mastered Rubik's buttress and the dreaded captive air box.

Feel free to PM me if you get into strife.