Footwell lights problem (yes again - sorry !)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RN558
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: 1.8i (1996)

Footwell lights problem (yes again - sorry !)

Post by RN558 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:02 pm

I have looked at the existing threads about this already but am making no headway.
The footwell lights worked until I fixed the light under the bonnet - it was disconnected as was the light in the boot (fixed a week or so ago) when I bought the car. There were also no bulbs in the mirror lights !
Anyway once I had the under bonnet light fixed the footwell lights no longer work.
I did have to change the 15amp fuse (Number 12) after mending the under bonnet light as I think I sparked one of the wires while re-fitting it in the bonnet cavity.
Everything else works fine, mirror lights, boot light, under bonnet light, glove box light, radio = all the items on the same fuse.
I have checked the bulbs.

Anybody help ?

Not a crucial issue but a little frustrating.

Thanks

Roger

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: Footwell lights problem (yes again - sorry !)

Post by Roverlike » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:24 pm

If you check the bulbs and mirror lights work as they should, I cannot see other problem but in the wiring to the footwell lamps.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:57 pm

IIRC the interior lights are all controlled by the BCU and I guess you may have shorted out a part of it.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 am

I assume the foot well lights earth to a different location to the mirror lights;
so I would be checking the earth, I expect it would be somewhere under the console.

I have had earthing issues in our Zafira. First the tacho due to a failed steering column earth,
and then lighting for the console. Fuses and globes all OK, but still no light. Sadly I have yet to find the earthing screw
in the Zafira, it's buried under the plastic somewhere.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:37 am

RN558 wrote: I did have to change the 15amp fuse (Number 12) after mending the under bonnet light as I think I sparked one of the wires while re-fitting it in the bonnet cavity.

Roger
Mate join the club, I've done that multiple times.

Most of the workshop procedures should start with 'Remove Fuse 12' :lol: :lol: :lol:
as the boot and/or bonnet are open for workshop work.

RN558

Post by RN558 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Thanks RobboMC.

I will have to work out which is the earth wire - will look at the wiring diagram on line and then try and trace it back.
I've used the spare 15 amp fuse so think I will get a couple of spares in before I start any more fiddling around with lights etc.

A previous owner had taken out the boot light and removed bulbs from the mirror lights - the wire to the bonnet light has been cut at some time as it is taped up and follows a strange path not in the clips (they are broken) - I have cable tied it in place.
Still these little puzzles keep it interesting as I haven't got room to do much mechanical stuff.

Roger

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Roverlike » Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:28 am

There is no BCU in this car, as it is 1996, so she has Lucas system.
Also there is no earth wire, because mirror lights and footwell lights are controled in same way, from alarm box. One side of all of them is connected to power via fuse, and other side is controled by alarm box. Alarm box provide earth connection or not, depending if you opened the door or not.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:00 pm

So the alarm unit works as a BCU for the lighting..........
talkingcars wrote:IIRC the interior lights are all controlled by the ALARM ECU and I guess you may have shorted out a part of it.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RN558

Post by RN558 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:31 pm

Thanks for all the input. When time allows I will trace the wires from footwell lights back to wherever I can see without pulling the loom apart. From the wiring diagrams I have looked at there appear to be a couple of 'junctions' where the wires meet up with those from the mirror etc. While these are named as SJ4 etc I cannot find out the location for any of them anywhere, unless anybody knows ? At least I now know I don't need to look for an earth wire. Even thought the bulbs look OK I might try new ones. After that I will live without the lights if necessary as long as the rest of the car works !

Thanks again
Roger