Mk1 vs Mk2 mechanical differences

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fireline
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: Mk1 VVC

Mk1 vs Mk2 mechanical differences

Post by Fireline » Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:52 pm

Hi all. Sorry to raise the proverbial old chestnut. I have a mk1 VVC, and I have just bought a mk2 VVC as a donor. I didn't really realise that there were differences, because I am new at all of this. Is there a list somewhere of bits that don't fit from one to the other? I am thinking about things like the starter motor, alternator, gearbox, etc. I have seen mention of cars with the "larger gearbox". That's me well and truly thrown. Can anyone point me at the right place? Thanks.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: Mk1 vs Mk2 mechanical differences

Post by RobboMC » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:29 am

Mate; I took a gearbox from a TF135 and stuck the internals into a Mk1 1.8 MPi.

As far as I could tell the only change ever made to the gearbox was the diff ratio.
I'm not certain if the Mk1 VVC ran the 4.2 diff or not ( the MPi came with a 3.9 diff ), would have made sense if it did.

So I'm running my Mpi with the 4.2 diff and I love it. I can' see how the starter motor can be different.

I doubt if there's a list, but people on here should be able to come up with parts they know from experience are different.
The main difference between the Mk1 and Mk11 running gear was the change to MEMS3 on the engine, but that's the Mpi, not the vvc.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:09 am

A rough guide would be to look up the parts you are looking to reuse on www.rimmerbros.co.uk
If it lists a different part number for the 2 VIN numbers then you can expect a difference, however it may not necessarily prevent the part from being fitted.
The VIN number change points listed for parts are also not set in stone, so if you have a VIN close to the change point its wise to double check what you have fitted.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:57 am

A lot of it depends on the age of the mk2.

Have a look at the ECU in the engine bay (visible from the boot on the left hand side). The mk1 will be rectangular, is the mk2 or is it wedge shape.
If it is wedge shaped the mk2 is MEMS3.

The alternator and the engine electrics will be different.
The starter is interchangeable.
The inlet manifold has different sensors.
The MEMS3 will have a larger throttle body which is a worthy upgrade.
The exhaust is different but manifold and downpipe can be swapped as a pair, same with the cat and back box.

The gearbox is the same in all MGF and TF VVC, regardless of it being a 143 or a 160, although the MEMS3 will have an electric speedo drive.

The interior of the car has been updated with all parts interchangeable. The later car has extra speakers in the door and speakers in the T-bar, you will need to add wiring.

TBH if the engine in the mk2 is a 160 VVC it is worth dropping the subframe and selling the whole engine/gearbox/subframe/wiring/ECU as a package.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:10 am

Thanks for that. The engine is a 143 VVC, and is not in the best of health. I will be dropping the subframe (at least that's the plan), but I intend to recondition the engine and keep it as a spare. I will have to check to see which ecu I have later on. I do know that the engine had had the 52mm throttle body as a deliberate upgrade by the last owner, which suggests that it started life without it.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:03 pm

So are you planning to stick in the mk2 engine?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Re: RE: Re: Mk1 vs Mk2 mechanical differences

Post by ashleyfrazer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:39 pm

talkingcars wrote:A lot of it depends on the age of the mk2.

Have a look at the ECU in the engine bay (visible from the boot on the left hand side). The mk1 will be rectangular, is the mk2 or is it wedge shape.
If it is wedge shaped the mk2 is MEMS3.

The alternator and the engine electrics will be different.
The starter is interchangeable.
The inlet manifold has different sensors.
The MEMS3 will have a larger throttle body which is a worthy upgrade.
The exhaust is different but manifold and downpipe can be swapped as a pair, same with the cat and back box.

The gearbox is the same in all MGF and TF VVC, regardless of it being a 143 or a 160, although the MEMS3 will have an electric speedo drive.

The interior of the car has been updated with all parts interchangeable. The later car has extra speakers in the door and speakers in the T-bar, you will need to add wiring.

TBH if the engine in the mk2 is a 160 VVC it is worth dropping the subframe and selling the whole engine/gearbox/subframe/wiring/ECU as a package.
Except I think the window switches which are different in style and wiring. Ash

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:49 pm

talkingcars wrote:So are you planning to stick in the mk2 engine?
Not in the next five minutes! I know that the electrics are different (or should be), so I will be salvaging the loom and associated odds and sods, too. I am really only breaking the donor because I have garage space to put parts in, but not quite enough to put the donor car in, if that makes sense!

Fireline

Post by Fireline » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:54 pm

Having plugged the chassis number of the donor into Rimmers, it seems that my donor MK2 is on the MK1 side of the changes, so most things should be ok. I guess I'll see as I go along.