Replacing air inlet manifold/plenium

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Replacing air inlet manifold/plenium

Post by hammond » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:08 pm

I'm trying to replace this below (sorry if I've named it wrong!):

ImageUntitled by Steve Butcher, on Flickr

with this below:

Most of the pipes and fixings line up fine except this switch below is off the original:

and my switch on the unit I want to fit looks like this:

Any ideas or suggestions. The switches won't swap over and the plugs are different. One has 3 pins and the other has 4 pins.

EDIT - since posting I've checked Rimmers and it appears my fitted manifold (blank one) is a newer one than the VVC marked one I'm trying to fit according to the VIN numbers.
Is there any way of modifying wiring to allow me to use newer plug with older sensor or will that mess up the mems unit?

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Re: Replacing air inlet manifold/plenium

Post by ArntyR » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Hammond, I'm curious to know why you want to swap.

I have an '05 1.6 TF with a plastic inlet manifold and looked up forum stuff to upgrade it with aluminium since plastic seems to more easily cause img failure(?) It didn't seem a feasible or realistic upgrade at the time for reasons I can't remember but I found that the Trophy 160 had a 52mm step-modified throttle body and tried one of those on my 1.6...

Why I'm curious is that I can't see the advantage of replacing aluminium with aluminium unless you're incorporating the bigger t.b. as well - which I think you can do w/out running into troubles with bits that don't fit since the t.b. seems to be absolutely interchangeable.

ps I hope I'm not coming over as being critical

hammond

Post by hammond » Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:18 pm

Thanks for the reply. Don't worry about feeling you're being critical, everyone has their opinion which is fine.

The only reason I'm changing is for pure aesthetic reasons. My original one doesn't say VVC and I want one that does. Silly I know but as I said at the beginning each to their own!

I am indeed upgrading to a 52mm TB and Pipercross induction filter at same time but as all are connected it seemed a good time to change manifold.
All was well as you stated the TB and indeed induction filter fitted with no problems until I noticed the manifold pressure switch being a different type. I'm kind of resigning myself to being told the nice shiny VVC manifold I have won't be compatible because of this switch or being a different mems.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm

The sensors are different, they are not compatible, they are not interchangeable, you will need to make the O/E sensor fit the new inlet or abandon the plan.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

hammond

Post by hammond » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:15 pm

talkingcars wrote:The sensors are different, they are not compatible, they are not interchangeable, you will need to make the O/E sensor fit the new inlet or abandon the plan.
I could possibly get a bracket/adaptor made up to allow original sensor to fit new (but older) inlet manifold.
Then again i think the probe bit that enters the manifold may also be different size. But either way will the mems still recognise it? I believe it only measures pressure so hopefully it will but there's one way to find out. :thumbsu:

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:38 pm

If you can make your MEMS 3 sensor fit the MEMS 2 manifold it will work

but

the MEMS 2 sensor will not work with your MEMS 3 car.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:15 am

talkingcars wrote:If you can make your MEMS 3 sensor fit the MEMS 2 manifold it will work

but

the MEMS 2 sensor will not work with your MEMS 3 car.
Thanks for the advice buddy. Maybe it's time to leave well alone :shutup:

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:10 am

Agreed...but 'console' yourself with that 52mm tb

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:58 am

If you want the VVC on your plenum chamber, take the 'new' chamber to your local sign makers and they'll make the self-adhesive letters for you copied from the example.

As an alternative, you could make a stencil from the 'new' chamber and spray the letters on.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Swampy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:44 am

Can you drill out the manifold to make your original sensor fit? Or maybe turn it through 90 - 180 degrees? It may be a bush mechanic fix, but possibly workable.
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)

hammond

Post by hammond » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:35 am

Swampy wrote: It may be a bush mechanic fix, but possibly workable.
I didn't get this statement until I looked at your location :thumbsu: :lol: