Tonneau Dusting

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Tonneau Dusting

Post by John SS » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:42 pm

The inside of my tonneau appears to be disintegrating and leaving a fine yellow powder on the hood.
Has anyone experienced this and come up with a solution, please?
I was thinking of maybe treating it with Fabsil?

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Re: Tonneau Dusting

Post by hammond » Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:53 pm

Yes my one was doing this, leaving horrible mess. So I brought a new one :lol: :thumbsu:

Not really a solution but thought I'd let you know others have done this

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:55 pm

I used a scrubbing brush first and washed mine in a cold machine wash then dried it slowly to avoid shrinking. Vastly reduced...
Yes some sort of flexible seal might do the trick.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:53 pm

Once it starts to fail the foam is beyond salvage, I wouldn't waste time trying to save it.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:34 am

I have the same issue, but the top of the tonneau is perfectly new as it's been in storage for 18 years and never used.

I had the hood lining replaced in my sedan and wondered if the hood lining people could do something with underside of the tonneau

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:41 pm

The problem is the plastic foam used as an interliner between the outer cover and the lining. To fully resolve the issue, the Tonneau needs to be taken to pieces and re-made using a different interliner.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Get rid. I very rarely use mine anyway.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Reckless Rat wrote:Get rid. I very rarely use mine anyway.
It is a requirement for the EU Vehicle Compliance Certificate to prevent the folded roof flying up and taking your head off should you have an accident.
Useless information but your Insurance Company could use it to deny your families claim.
Geoff.F

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm third party only so makes no difference. ;)
I would think the energy necessary for the roof assembly to be capable of being able to take anyone's head off (and where the head must have to be to make contact with it despite the seat belt tensioners and airbag) that the force would be such that the tonneau cover probably would not be capable of resisting it anyway. However, I accept that the handbook advice is to fit it.

Nevertheless having had to get the roof up quick several times in the event of a sudden downpour I find it's much quicker than messing about with the tonneau. I have the later type which cannot be removed without first switching off, removing the key, getting out of the car and opening the boot. Without it the roof can be pulled over and locked into place in seconds without all that. My car also has a glass rear screen which obviates the need to re-zip the rear screen panel (also recommended by the handbook).

If you have to park the car anywhere you're going to have to take it off and put the roof up as well, unless you're brave.

I do accept though that the car does look prettier with the tonneau fitted. If it's starting to shed its foam then it's knackered.

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:52 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Looks like new one then.
Can't see any point in buying 'new old stock' one though.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:04 am

Correct. That's what I did and I got screwed. The thing I have is useless.

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:41 am

It's always worth looking on the bay of E, a previous owner of my car thought she would bling it up and stuck strips of crystals around the outer edge. As an old codger and well retired that didn't suit me at all, after a couple of weeks I found a suitable one for £65, delivered. Other than some damp stains on the lining, it's in excellent condition. Certainly worth a look.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 am

Don Hoods in Birmingham or BAS International would probably make a replacement for you.
We have an original OEM Full Tonneau however the hood cover did not have the "Boot Lid Tail" resulting in it lifting loose at 80+. BAS supplied the material and a local sailmaker made and fitted it.
Geoff.F