push button starter

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
getshawty
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: abingdon

push button starter

Post by getshawty » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:16 pm

does anyone know the colour of the wires from the back of the ignition to the starter and the pernanent live wire
I want to wire in a push button starter

DavidT6DCM
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: MGTF 160

Re: push button starter

Post by DavidT6DCM » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:47 pm

This should help you from Rob Bells website, 2 pics of mine i have the Richbrook one fitted where cigarette lighter was and think it looks good ;) Dave

Click Here for Robs Site

getshawty
Model of Car: abingdon

Post by getshawty » Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:15 pm

thank you , Thats really helpfull.
You interior looks smart as well

mel123
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 1997 brg mgf

Post by mel123 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:50 pm

i used the live from the ciggie lighter .
My starter button was a "savage" which are about £20.00. I searched on the net and asked loads of questions.........i needed no relay and it was just 2 wires from the button which connected to two wires just entering the fuse box. Sorry can,t remember the colours.
What i did was a "trial" run when i connected the wires ie...i just tapped them with electricians tape to the spade end connectors at the ciggie lighter end and at the fuse box BEFORE i used the snap lock connectors. I was told the worst i,d do was blow a fuse if i did it wrong. No fuses blow it just didn,t start off the button untill i had the correct wires.
Mines a 1997 mgf.
If you are struggling if you pm me i,ll take a look at the wireing for you (it was 2 years ago when i did it). I did do photo,s of it but the computer packed in and i lost the lot.
I,m going to take it apart soon anyway to show a mate the wires so it is no problem.
THE ABOVE IS FROM MEMORY I,LL DOUBLE CHECK IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED

Mel :D :D

1997 BRG MGF

Phoenix
Model of Car: '98 MGF VVC

Post by Phoenix » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:35 pm

I quite fancy one myself but i've heard that the illuminated ones can slowly drain your battery(?). :?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Phoenix wrote:I quite fancy one myself but i've heard that the illuminated ones can slowly drain your battery(?). :?
Mine is the same as Dave's above, it is illuminated when the ignition is on, engine not running. It cuts out the 3rd stage of ignition, the firing of the engine and cuts itself out when the engine is running.

Speaking only from experience, mine doesn't drain the battery it has been there over 18 months, in fact I don't see how it can, I have also never heard of this, that is not to say it is not true though for some owners.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

mel123

Post by mel123 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:44 pm

mine doesn,t either.
The only difference to the above on mine is that the led light stays on ,on mine untill the engine is turned off.
If the starter button is wired into an "ignition live " i can,t see how it could drain the battery.
I believe the ciggie lighter (which is my ignition live) on the tf is different as this is a constant so wired in the same way as the mgf a starter button in the tf probably would drain the battery if the led stayed on.
Mel

1997 BRG MGF

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:42 am

Mel, of course, that is an interesting reasoning. Our F's have a dead ciggie lighter that only livens up when the ignition is on, does the TF in fact stay live all of the time ? Dawn's Rover 45 does.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

James Curgenven
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG ZT 260 SE #455

Post by James Curgenven » Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:02 pm

Yes the TF's lighter is permanently live
---
Loud & Proud!

Scarlet Fever
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:17 pm

If you want to be a bit different, here's how i did mine...

Note hazard warning light is now a nice big, red GO! button 8-)

The car needs a hazard warning light button though (OE, therefore part of MOT test), so i sourced a switch blank from a R75 in walnut to match the fascia and also gained a central locking button. :)

Wiring in was a bit of an issue, including dismantling the hazard button to remove the mechanical latch. In the end i had an auto-electrician wire it all in using Ford relays, but it all works really well, the central locking button is disabled unless the engine is running (no use to thieves) and the Go! button is disabled when the engine is running (no accidental switch offs).
Andrew Phillips

mel123

Post by mel123 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:12 pm

Adrian....yes my mates is live all the time and James says his is so presume they all are.

Andy
saw your f at mgf 10 and liked the look of the starter button.
Always wondered......that gold f you was doing the demo on (keys locked in the boot etc.) was that Adrians f.

1997 BRG MGF

Phoenix
Model of Car: '98 MGF VVC

Post by Phoenix » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:43 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Mine is the same as Dave's above, it is illuminated when the ignition is on, engine not running. It cuts out the 3rd stage of ignition, the firing of the engine and cuts itself out when the engine is running.

I read in the link that there are two different ways to wire the button up using either one 30A relay or three 40A relays. Do you have to use the three 40 ampers if you want to set it up so it disables the 3rd stage of ignition like you have? Or is that just if you're installing the S2000 button

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:20 pm

The "S2000" button (the one that often appears on E Bay) is different, I don't know if it illuminates either so I can't comment on that.

Yes, that was my car and it still has the scars to prove it :cry: It's quite a bit different now though as some issues of FTF will show.

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:03 pm

James Curgenven wrote:Yes the TF's lighter is permanently live
But only from 03MY on, 02MY TF's are like the F.

Just another thing to note is make sure your insurance co. is happy with you fitting a starter button, some aren't at all and others insist that it's done by a pro.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:25 am

Good advice there Chris, we often overlook this important issue.

If you are unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident you could invalidate your insurance if you have modified your car in any way. Personally, I recommend you declare all mods to your car, I have with my company, it has not cost me one penny extra ether. Also remember in case of an accident repair unless you have seperate inclusions (therefore declaration) you will not get like for like, you will get original equipment, which may take a long time to source and lead to a possible suggestion of write-off.

Scarlet Fever
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:55 pm

mel123 wrote:Andy
saw your f at mgf 10 and liked the look of the starter button.
Always wondered......that gold f you was doing the demo on (keys locked in the boot etc.) was that Adrians f.
Sure was, funnily enough the starter button caused a bit of a panic at the end of the day at MGF10. You see Adrian had only recently fitted it and neither Dawn (Adrian's SO) or I knew about it. When we came to move the car out of the lecture theatre we couldn't get it started! Until Dawn said, "What's this silver button do?" and the penny dropped :lol:
Andrew Phillips

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:31 pm

Took months for her to forgive me for that one :roll: People were dashing around looking for jump leads, some were suggesting bump start it because it was felt the doors being open most of the day (along with the added drain of the red open lights in the doors too) may have flattened the battery :D

mel123

Post by mel123 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:53 pm

Thought it was your car Adrian. :D :D
Thanks for the info guys about the insurance needs to be informed about the start button :thumbsu:
I,d not declared mine but its up in 14 days and i,m going to give pete best a ring.
I,ve got full no claims on my van and 4 on my f. I,ve been quoted £368.00 at renewel from Garners in Warrington.
I,m sure i can do better??
Mel

1997 BRG MGF

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:21 am

Peter Best has just lately been giving some good quotes, although when I tried him a few years ago he was actually the dearest.

I'm with A Plan, full 5 years NCB, all mods declared all the whistles and bells included no mileage restrictions, try them on 01908 271771, if you can ask for Steve Marsh in person.

mel123

Post by mel123 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:59 pm

Cheers Adrian
I,ll try them both on Monday :thumbsu:
Mel

1997 BRG MGF