Apollo-Viper or another?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Apollo-Viper or another?

Post by c13amb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:54 pm

As per title ...sorry if its been asked before but i am considering a closed induction kit for my TF.
My question is the Apollo is £100 more expensive than the Viper so was wondering is it worth it based on price for the gains that are to be had?
If anyone has any experiance of them please tell your story..or is something else such as the ITG worth more again?
My car is a 135 with Pipercross panel fitted currently and a TTMK7 coupled with a Z&F remap just wanted to go for better induction as some scoops will be fitted soon too!!
Cheers all..
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Apollo-Viper or another?

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:27 pm

I have a K&N Apollo in my VVC F but it is a modified ZS 180 fitment so a little different to the MGF spec version. I have never compared it with a Viper but I am very happy with it.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:39 pm

talkingcars wrote:I have a K&N Apollo in my VVC F but it is a modified ZS 180 fitment so a little different to the MGF spec version. I have never compared it with a Viper but I am very happy with it.
Thats one vote for Apollo then...but the big question im pondering is the money difference both on the bay of e at the mo are Apollo £270!! or Viper £170!! Its a big price variance for what if any differences?

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:50 pm

I had the Apollo on my car & to be honest the only difference I noticed was the induction noise, if I were to do it again I'd go for a panel filter & spend the change in the pub :)

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:15 am

Seconding daz’s post, just add a re-routed intake hose to the left side vent. This is how I’d done it on my old VVC. The TF air box is slightly different, but the basic principle is the same.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:05 am

Cheers daz and mykel :thumbsu:
I had read about using the panel before..but im looking for a change really(and a bit more induction noise).If you didnt notice too much diffrence with the Apollo daz then maybe the Viper will give me the sound i want and maybe the 1bhp +.!! for the cheaper price?
To throw another one in ..what about the Taipan kit from the MGF Centre???

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:18 pm

ITG Maxogen but would stick with standard TF airbox and panel filter.

daz

Post by daz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 pm

c13amb wrote:Cheers daz and mykel :thumbsu:
I had read about using the panel before..but im looking for a change really(and a bit more induction noise).If you didnt notice too much diffrence with the Apollo daz then maybe the Viper will give me the sound i want and maybe the 1bhp +.!! for the cheaper price?
To throw another one in ..what about the Taipan kit from the MGF Centre???
I didn't notice any difference at all & my car was mapped for the filter. To be honest the worst money I ever spent on the car was the filter & remap, both were very disappointing. I'd have been better off spending £500+ on beer & women instead of wasting it :thumbsu:

You may as well buy a cheap one from ebay if you're only after the induction noise

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-3-Carbon ... OSwDrNZOlp~

or for a better sound, what exhaust do you have fitted? Fit a nice backbox instead for similar money to the air filters. I fitted a miltek ss exhaust, that was in the top of the list of mods, made me smile everytime I put my foot down & smile again when I lifted off, crackle pop, pop lol

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:16 pm

Thanks daz..that is cheap m8 :thumbsd: Ive got a TTMK7 fitted..love that sounds great with the remap for popping ;)
As for the beer and women they normally cost more than that :D
It looks like the general feeling is to leave alone and maybe buy something with nothing to do with MG's!!

daz

Post by daz » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:20 pm

You won't hear the induction noise over the exhaust if you have a tt fitted.

c13amb

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:22 pm

daz wrote:You won't hear the induction noise over the exhaust if you have a tt fitted.
Good point daz i think this was not such a good idea!! :roll: