Oil change

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Oil change

Post by hammond » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:54 pm

Did an oil and filter change today but it seemed only around 3 litres came out of the engine through the sump plug. I did run engine for 5 mins first to warm up oil but I'm sure it should be 4.5 litres coming out.
Didn't check level with dip stick first but did so a while back and I'm sure it wouldn't low by a litre and a half. Not been driven since last Autumn and no sign of oil loss underneath car.
Any idea why such a low amount came out?
For now I have only stuck 3 litres back in and will check it after it settles I guess.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Oil change

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:36 pm

Was there any in the oil filter?
Did you fill the new one before fitting it?

What did the dip stick say after the refill?

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE LEVEL AND TOP UP BEFORE USING THE CAR AGAIN.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:40 am

dumb question, was the car parked on level ground?

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:05 am

I've found with my '05 1.6 TF that an oil change with 4l pack of Magnatech c/w a new filter takes me to the very top of the dipstick on level ground, so if you were originally 'down' by 1/2l and more was lurking in the original filter, it might be close to what you saw(?)

(I'm presuming the dipstick reads close to max now and the problem's only been realised because you didn't read the dipstick before you drained the old oil?)

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:27 pm

talkingcars wrote:Was there any in the oil filter?
Did you fill the new one before fitting it?

What did the dip stick say after the refill?

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK THE LEVEL AND TOP UP BEFORE USING THE CAR AGAIN.
There was oil in old filter but certainly not a litre and a half. I did put new oil in new filter before fitting.
All the oil overflowed back through the dipstick chamber whilst I was filling it up and made a nice mess. I've left it to settle overnight and of course I haven't started engine yet until I check it! :thumbsu:

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:28 pm

RobboMC wrote:dumb question, was the car parked on level ground?
Yeah as mush as the eye can see, didn't get the spirit level to check :lol:

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:30 pm

It is such a slow process to refill with oil via the boot access (which is effectively trying to get oil down the dipstick tube) that I have found it easier (and far cleaner!) to remove the engine access cover and refill direct through the cap on the cam cover.

HERE:

hammond

Post by hammond » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 pm

thanks Mr Rat, I found that out to my cost as the speed I was tipping was faster than it could take :roll:

So I did exactly what you suggested which was so much quicker :thumbsu:

Haven't had chance to check level today so will be doing it first thing in morning

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:05 pm

You should only top up through the remote tube.

Refilling after a change should be done through the cap on the engine - not only does it not overflow but also coats the inside of the engine on the way to the sump.

Also also pouring oil down the "dipstick" tube makes it harder to take an accurate dipstick reading.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

jonaf
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:12 pm

If you use an angled funnel you can fill through the filling hole in the cam cover without having to remove the engine access cover. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-Red-Angled ... SwyP5aENF1

hammond

Post by hammond » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

May be something to buy for the future, great idea :thumbsu:

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Don’t you have budget change & refill stations in the UK? Since I found a company called “Mac Oil” here in Germany with the next station just 20 miles from home, I’m not getting my hands dirty on oil changes anymore. They offer an oil change including the necessary amount of Shell Helix HX6 10W-40 and a Mann filter for a flat rate of €29.90 (£26.50). It should be hard to find a canister of good quality oil at that price, leave alone the filter and disposal.

Of course they curse and swear when they see me coming in the MGF or TF, as it takes them about 40 minutes to refill through the dipstick pipe, but when it’s a deal, it’s a deal. :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

The old one
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 1.8 l

Post by The old one » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:06 pm

There is a nother way which was on a post a while back. If you remove the grill over the expansion bottle you can just slide your hand through to unscrew the cap. Then you can make up an angled tube out of cistern over flow pipe with a couple of 90 degree bends with a small funnel above the boot. Tried it and works well, saves all the hassle of removing the carpet.

hammond

Post by hammond » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Mykel wrote:Don’t you have budget change & refill stations in the UK? Since I found a company called “Mac Oil” here in Germany with the next station just 20 miles from home, I’m not getting my hands dirty on oil changes anymore. They offer an oil change including the necessary amount of Shell Helix HX6 10W-40 and a Mann filter for a flat rate of €29.90 (£26.50). It should be hard to find a canister of good quality oil at that price, leave alone the filter and disposal.

Of course they curse and swear when they see me coming in the MGF or TF, as it takes them about 40 minutes to refill through the dipstick pipe, but when it’s a deal, it’s a deal. :lol:
We should be so lucky. An oil and filter change in any garage would be double that cost I'm guessing. My oil and filter price alone came to that :o

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 am

The risk of course is that people just get their oil changed and don't attend to the myriad of other things needed at least annually on a car,
like in the case of the F squeezing some grease into the suspension joints and topping up the gearbox with the correct grade of oil. In the end it could be false economy unless you do the rest of the stuff yourself.

cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by cococola » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:07 am

I made an extension tube to go on my funnel to fill without removing the engine cover..similar to this and it just saves time faffing with the roof and removing the cover.
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:40 am

So when I was putting the car back together after doing the oil seal behind the timing belt there was this moment when the engine cover was still off
and the right rear wheel was up on the jack stand and I thought " this is the exact set-up to do an oil change"

The oil change is due in about 500 miles so I did the fastest and easier oil and filter change in history.

Just thought I'd make you guys jealous.

RobboMC

Post by RobboMC » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:33 am

After I did this oil change my car started smelling quite 'oily'. It was like it was leaking but there's no spots on the garage floor.

I was concerned that the timing gear seal was leaking again, but the smell has since stopped after about 500 miles.

Anyone got any ideas on what I might have done incorrectly during this hasty oil change?
I didn't check and keep filling the oil, I just poured 4-1/2 litres in the top filler really fast.,
and no I didn't spill oil all over the engine. I probably did flood the camshaft area though.

I will be popping the top belt cover off to look for oil in the timing area just in case.