front suspension arm failure

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
hughlin
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

front suspension arm failure

Post by hughlin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:35 am

Just had an MoT fail on my 1996 F with a seriously corroded and multi-rewelded front suspension arm. Which looks as though its going to prove seriously expensive to fix, since the garage tells me they will have to drop the front subframe to deal with it.

Does anyone know of any easy way to deal with this which wont cost me a fortune in labour charges? Having just finished a complete refurb of the insides I'm reluctant to say good bye to the car, especially since most everything else is good!

hugh

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Re: front suspension arm failure

Post by Reckless Rat » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:32 pm

It is necessary to drop the REAR of the front subframe (both sides) in order to remove the pivot bolt from the lower front arm, as it comes out towards the rear. There is a nut at the forward end that can be accessed through a hole in the subframe which is normally covered in tape and can be well hidden. Removal can be complicated because seriously corroded rear front subframe mounts have a tendency to rust and shear the bolts when removing. Stainless replacements are available. It's not that complicated a job if you're able to release the subframe. In effect it's just one long bolt to remove that passes through both front and rear ends of the wishbone. Search on the site for more information. Treat all points with generous helpings of plus gas (not WD40) before starting disassembly.

A lot will depend on the overall condition of your car as to how easily you'll be able to get the old wishbone off, but it is a job that can be done by a reasonably competent DIYer armed with decent tools and plenty of determination.

Some info & pictures here:

http://www.1020mg.org.uk/2013/10/mgf-te ... placement/

hughlin

Post by hughlin » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:43 pm

thanks - I dont think I'll tackle it myself (would have done once!) - but at 75 i'm limiting the amount of time I spend crawling under the car! :-) The local garage is excellent and its tips like that which should save some money!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:01 pm

It sounds daunting but it really isn't difficult or uncommon - make sure you get a quote before they start.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

hughlin

Post by hughlin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:36 pm

well - it was nothing like as painful as i feared. About £160 for the new arms and £360 for labour including some work on one of the sills. The subframe bolts on one side came out OK, but two sheared on the other side and he cut into the chassis, welded in new nuts and welded it up again - a solution I couldnt have done myself. At least that's one less thing to go wrong now!

Thanks for advice and help - as always this forum is invaluable.

hugh

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:34 pm

hughlin wrote:.....but two sheared on the other side and he cut into the chassis, welded in new nuts and welded it up again - a solution I couldnt have done myself......
I would just drill out the remains of the stud, I think that is the common way of doing it.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com