CD troubles '05 TF

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

CD troubles '05 TF

Post by ArntyR » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi folks. Can any CD 'knowledgeables' on the forum help with this please?

'05 TF-standard CD player-CD413X (pic below). I seldom use the ICE but the radio works fine; stereo both door channels (no T-bar speakers in 1.6) balances ok etc etc.

Today I got 'clever' and thought I'd burn a .mp3 CD from i/net files (Deep Purple live, no less!). Tried the new CD, no RH channel. LH works fine + balances ok but nothing from RH.

Tried a couple of 'professional' CDs...same problem.... Cleaned the laser with a CD head cleaner a couple of times, too. Still no RH channel.

Can anyone offer any ideas? Thanks in antic.
Attachments
_DSF2753.jpg

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Re: CD troubles '05 TF

Post by Roverlike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:20 pm

Do you have RH channel if you listen to the Radio only?

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 pm

Hi Roverlike. No, I only lose the RH channel when I try to play a cd. Then only the LH channel works. The radio works ok and 'balances' between the two speakers.

Today I took the cd part out - I suspect its separate circuit board - and I might try to replace that part from a local breaker, perhaps. That radio/cd was used in loadsa MG/Rover models. For the time being I'm leaving it out of the car and occasionally fiddling with it.

It's no hardship really; not important enough to buy a shiny new one with loadsa coloured lights. I hardly use it, but (you know what it's like) I eventually want to get it original and working right. I might keep my eyes open for a replacement CD 413x or something broken that I can cannibalise. After my first fiddle the cd puller micro-switches have stopped working and the cd doesn't centralise either now, so the whole unit seems quite fragile with respect to the rest of the radio...it's probably riddled with dry joints so I've nothing to lose by attacking it with a soldering iron.

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:43 pm

Seems that you will need replacing CD unit for it. Let me know what you manage with pcb if attack it

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:22 pm

Yes, I think the best way forward will be to substitute the cd module c/w its circuit board from a recycler if I can - or look to the auction site for a low-cost 'spares or repairs' unit to cannibalise. (A national sales/repair firm advised me to scrap it this morning when I called for advice...)

It's only 4 screws and 1 multi-plug to undo once inside the set. The CD 413X units were in TFs/25s/45s, so there should be a few about.

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 am

Unfortunately this one is on dear side https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-ROVER-VDO ... 2564245642 of price tag

On the other side you have this one https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/VDO-Car-Stereo ... mwBanner=1

Maybe worth to investigate further and see if there is another model of VDO Siemens head unit which share same CD module with 413x model.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:22 am

Hi Roverlike. Thanks for your suggestions. I found a replacement on the 'net yesterday in between your prices and similar v-f-m so I ordered it.

I'm still determined to fix the original though; the 'trash it; it's too old' professional advice has been a challenge. I can understand the financial convenience of that process but keeping old stuff going serves to keep us in touch with our heritage I feel...

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:31 am

Not a problem. I just offered quick solution. However repairing existing is also my way of doing thing. Unfortunately it takes spare time which is in deficit each time more and more.

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:20 am

My cassette player still works fine in my 1996 *F* :sf:

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:55 pm

Update:- New spares aren't available but I was lucky enough to find a replacement CD413X radio/CD player on the 'net which was unused/new old stock.

A week later Martin Smith found me a used radio/CD player which had the radio code missing so I felt I was able to cannibalize it for the broken CD internal module + circuit board w/out feeling too guilty.

So, my old unit is back in the car and working on both channels again in radio and CD mode (...smug) - and I now have a very slightly used Siemens/VDO MG CD413X radio/CDplayer for sale!! (...embarrassed)

If anyone has the same troubles as me or wants to replace an otherwise broken unit I'm your man :-)

(In fact these units were common to all Rover/MG models and it would be a 'heritage sympathetic' upgrade for those *F* owners who have indestructible MG radio/tape cassette players but want to play CDs instead...(no disrespect intended Green Squirrel :-)))

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:52 am

Excellent!!