Sticking Hood

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
robbo5
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Sticking Hood

Post by robbo5 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:19 am

Not too technical a problem, but a problem nevertheless. I am finding it increasingly difficult to drop the hood down on my TF. I goes half way and then sticks - after a few attempts it goes down, but I don't like having to force it. When I first had the car, it went down easily, but over the 4 months I have had the car, it has become much harder. Is there anything that I can adjust to ease the problem, or is it just something we MG-TF owner have to live with ?

PHLEB
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2000 F VVC

Re: Sticking Hood

Post by PHLEB » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:48 am

It's normal!

If you lift the first roof bar back as you drop the hood it should work. or purchase a set of lock-up straps off ebay about £10 which are elastic straps that fit between the first and second roof bars just giving enough tension to pull it back out of the way.

robbo5

Post by robbo5 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:44 am

Thanks for your prompt reply - I have ordered a pair of straps on eBay as you have suggested - hopefully this will sort the problem
Cheers

Dell
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:38 pm

If you go onto the Scotland section of this forum an PM Dave Clelland the moderator he will be able to supply you with the straps for £10 a set I think he is also the guy whgo is selling them on fleabay.
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

robbo5

Post by robbo5 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Thanks Dell
Dave Cleland is the guy I have bought the straps from on eBay, and he has already sent me an e-mail saying that they are in the post, so next week I should be able to solve the problem.
Cheers

Rich Stone
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160

Post by Rich Stone » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:10 pm

Bought some from Dave C via fleabay recently and they work a treat. So much easier to fit than the original MG Rover ones too! Recommended to anyone with this problem! :thumbsu:

Rich.

robbo5

Post by robbo5 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:48 pm

Ordered the straps from David Clelland at 11.30 on Saturday and they arrived by 10.00am Monday - now that is what you call service !
Fitted them in two minutes and they work a treat - can recommend them to any F/TF owners who have the same problem
Dave R