has anyone retro-fitted MG-TF rear suspension to MGF ?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
2woody
MGF Register Region: North East

has anyone retro-fitted MG-TF rear suspension to MGF ?

Post by 2woody » Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:19 am

I'm interested in retro-fitting the improved geometry TF rear suspension onto my MGF - has anyone done this ?

Specifically - I would only be interested in keeping Hydrolastic, which I suggest might be the biggest sticking point

views welcomed

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Re: has anyone retro-fitted MG-TF rear suspension to MGF ?

Post by flyingbanana » Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:42 am

It's quite easy to individualise MGF suspension, much easier than a metro.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:11 pm

I have been thinking about this myself for a while. IMHO it should be do-able, best use a complete TF subframe as starting point. First remove the struts, then the top wishbones and ball joints, as these are specific for the coil over setup. Replace with the smaller ball joints and the upper wishbones and knuckles from an MGF, which from memory should be a straight fit.

You will then have to use an angle grinder to chop off the top strut abutments on the subframe to make room for the hydragas elements. The mounting holes for the caps are still there (at least the two lower ones on each side), not sure about the top ones though.

This way you can use the rather more defined trailing arm and longer track rod setup from the TF with the hydragas system.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

quick_spider
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by quick_spider » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:06 pm

Tf rear top arms have spherical ball joints, whereas the MGF top arm is a roller bearing, so I suspect using the MGF arms won’t allow the suspension to articulate properly.

2woody

Post by 2woody » Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:19 pm

yes - I'd picked that up. Time for a re-think

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:16 pm

I have both a TF and an F rear subframe (both quite rotten) somewhere. Will give it a try sometime but without fitting the hydragas egg. It should be possible to tell from any stress or tension building up on movement whether it should work or not, but thinking about it, you’re probably right, Jon. The TF setup pivots around the front rubber mounting of the trailing arm which is bolted to the hub carrier, thus the latter will probably not just move up and down, but have a small variable angle towards the upper mounting in the subframe. this may be the reason for using a spherical joint rather roller bearings.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:23 pm

Mykel wrote: The TF setup pivots around the front rubber mounting of the trailing arm which is bolted to the hub carrier, thus the latter will probably not just move up and down, but have a small variable angle towards the upper mounting in the subframe. this may be the reason for using a spherical joint rather roller bearings.
Yes, that's right. The spherical bearing in the top link is the same bearing as in the bottom of both front and rear dampers. It's a TRW parts bin bearing - probably about 8/10 years ago I lifted the spring clips on the rubber boots and squirted a little hypoid oil in both sides of all the "spherical bearings". Strangely it seems to have prolonged their life - bit of luck there with what I thought later was a bit of a silly thing to do :oops:

That front rubber bush is known as the "compliance bush" and is voided to provide compliance :roll: The whole rear linkage is very cleverly designed to provide optimum track/camber changes under braking/acceleration stress with little "friction", which could inhibit the designed suspension movement.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

2woody

Post by 2woody » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:42 pm

I must admit to having some other knowledge about this.....

part of the reason for changing the suspension for MG TF was because the MGF variant gives some very unpleasant toe-changes under extreme braking situations - this is also why the standard set-up is so front-biased.

I suspect that the greatest contribution to eradicating this for TF is in the difference between the lower link lengths

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:26 pm

Should be an interesting project - I had asked the engineers who designed the system the same question about 15 years ago. They didn't like the idea! :lol: BUT I reckon, with a bit of "engin-uity" [sic] I reckon this is doable. Best have a TF and MGF subframe and suspension systems together and then work your way through seeing how to replace the coil-over in turret with the Hydragas unit - and work out how to attach an extra, adjustable damper. :)

Watching with great interest :cool:

2woody

Post by 2woody » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:57 am

for reference, my little brother wrote off the very first prototype TF at MIRA in a "how much rear bias do we run" experiment. Almost exactly a month before I demolished the other side of the same crash barrier in a Volvo.

I'm looking into the geometry a little deeper, it seems the most important part is the longer rear track-control arm. There might just be a way to use this in isolation

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:15 am

I have to ask, why keep the hydrolastic suspension?

The TF sub-frames are already available complete with your desired suspension geometry so surely that is the way to go. Add VHS Bilstein dampers which are what the designers wanted before the accountants ruined the ride with cheapo dampers and you're done. And no more worrying about hydrolastic pump-ups!

2woody

Post by 2woody » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:04 pm

to me, hydrolastic is an integral part of the car - and inseparable from the point of having an MGF. Its really good in a number of fronts and ideally suited. Just as important as being rear-engined is to a Porsche 911 or auto transmission to a Royce.

pump-ups don't really bother me either - I have a pump

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:02 am

OK but doesn't really make sense to me. A TF is an F but with better suspension IMHO.

But then again I chose a TF over an F because I didn't want to faff about with leaky spheres and all that goes with it. :lol:

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:53 pm

Not sure this is the place to have this discussion yet again, but I think there are plenty TFs around, and any number of sportscars with coil sprung suspension. Leave the Fs for those of us who appreciate the oddness!

I love this thread :)

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:Leave the Fs for those of us who appreciate the oddness!

I love this thread :)
Totally agree!! :thumbsu:

2woody

Post by 2woody » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:50 am

Oh - what have I done.....?

will report back soon

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:22 pm

2woody wrote:Oh - what have I done.....?
Well, you triggered the inevitable and ages old infight between followers of two different denominations :lol:
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

2woody

Post by 2woody » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:20 pm

to me - the attraction of an MGF is the supremely intelligent use of Metro subframes into a genuinely world-beating sports car, together with the hydrolastic element. And that designed at a time when Rover wasn't in great fettle. The story might have been a little different if they'd taken up our PR2 instead

The conversion to TF, driven as it was by poor braking and the unwillingness to lengthen the licencing element from Moulton, kind of cheapened the whole package. It will undoubtedly have increased sales and would produce a firmer and probably faster-cornering car, but that's not what I'm after.

What I am after is the better braking from TF, through rear-end geometry which avoids one particular effect

to each his own, though.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Great project: how is your research going? I’m sure much of the TF stuff is bolt on bar a central location of the lower transverse links... :)

Tipper

Post by Tipper » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:04 pm

2woody wrote:...
The conversion to TF, driven as it was by poor braking and the unwillingness to lengthen the licencing element from Moulton, kind of cheapened the whole package...
I thought it was because Dunlop refused to make them at a reasonable price because they had to remake all the tooling because it was worn out! I stand corrected. :thumbsu: