How to adjust engine lid?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Buzzy-Beans
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

How to adjust engine lid?

Post by Buzzy-Beans » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:08 pm

The boot lid / engine lid on my otherwise almost totally immaculate is noticeably higher than the wings when it is closed and has very obviously been like this from new as the mounting/attachment bolts have never been touched.

I loosened all 4 of the attachment bolts only to discover that the lid is already in the lowest possible position :rant: , so my question is (not as yet having received the workshop manual), can anyone tell me how to adjust the shut position?

Many thanks

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: How to adjust engine lid?

Post by Mykel » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Do the hinges run smoothly or are they a bit stiff or even squeaky? If that’s the case, the hinges will actually keep the lid open slightly. Does it improve when you (carefully) press down the lid at the hinge end?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

11-GT-NH
Model of Car: '99 MK1 120bhp

Post by 11-GT-NH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Just fitted a TF bootlid on my MK1, are you sure the hinges are in the lowest position?
The bolts have to be on the top of the hinge bracket to get the boot lid down... sounds strange but when you look at it it makes sense.

Buzzy-Beans

Post by Buzzy-Beans » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:38 pm

Mykel wrote:Do the hinges run smoothly or are they a bit stiff or even squeaky? If that’s the case, the hinges will actually keep the lid open slightly. Does it improve when you (carefully) press down the lid at the hinge end?
11-GT-NH wrote:Just fitted a TF bootlid on my MK1, are you sure the hinges are in the lowest position?
The bolts have to be on the top of the hinge bracket to get the boot lid down... sounds strange but when you look at it it makes sense.
Thanks for both your thoughts and by way of an answer, first of all to Mykel, there is absolutely no stiction exhibited by either hinge, they are silky smooth in their respective movements.
And now 11-GT-NH, I have adjusted many bonnets and boots in my many years of tinkering and as such I can quite honestly reply to your very helpful comment, both hinges are adjusted as far as they possibly can be, in fact, following receiving your response I have just been out to check once again that I wasn't trying to make adjustments in the wrong direction and sadly in the context of this posting, I wasn't, damn it!!!

So as yet I am still stuck up the blessed creek without a paddle !!!!

11-GT-NH
Model of Car: '99 MK1 120bhp

Post by 11-GT-NH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:39 pm

Hey Buzzy, it took me some time to align the bootlid, you can also play around with the lock catch on the body and the bolts near the inspection cover of the engine.

on the knoll
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Trophy

Post by on the knoll » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:44 pm

check the engine access grill pegs are located in their holes, i found on my trophy two were not located all the way in and this was enough to stop the boot from closing flush,as soon as i bent the pegs to fit, the boot closed in line with the wing.

Buzzy-Beans

Post by Buzzy-Beans » Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:08 pm

on the knoll wrote:check the engine access grill pegs are located in their holes, i found on my trophy two were not located all the way in and this was enough to stop the boot from closing flush,as soon as i bent the pegs to fit, the boot closed in line with the wing.
Sorry to say but nope, everything is OK in that department.

I did try some icky thump downward pressure on the boot when it was fully closed and that has improved matters quite well on the N.S. but only very slightly on the O.S.

I think I will have to see if I can find any form of adjustment on the hinge mechanism itself, does anyone know how to do that?

Many thanks

Gedge
MGF Register Region: South Coast

Post by Gedge » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:44 pm

Mine is the same and as yet I haven’t found any other way to address the issue, so reading this with interest

miker33
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by miker33 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:26 am

Buzzy-Beans wrote: I did try some icky thump downward pressure on the boot when it was fully closed and that has improved matters quite well on the N.S. but only very slightly on the O.S.
Similarly I utilised the 'manual adjustment method' myself as couldn't get mine to line up either :lol:
2001 MG TF 135
1979 Mini Clubman Estate http://www.twinenginemini.co.uk