Rusty Bodywork

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
CoventryConvert
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Rusty Bodywork

Post by CoventryConvert » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:56 am

Hi all,

Just a quick question regarding the dreaded body rot.

Some MG F's I have seen, including the one I am looking at (hopefully get the deal done this week ) have really good bodywork for their age.

Others that you see, for example on Ebay have rotted front wings, rotted sills and generally scabby wrecks.

Is there a reason for such a vast state of bodywork difference? Were some car years made from lesser steel or poorer paint finish?

I ask as the car I am looking at, on close inspection has a very, very small blood vessel like bubbling of paint on the front wing, lower edge near the bumper.

This patch is replicated on the other wing as well in exactly the same place.

So is there something common to both patches, like some water/dirt trap in the exact same position each side or some panel fixing that is prone to corrosion causing this spread on either side of the car, same position.

I am not put off the car, as this is the only body corrosion I have found. Even looked inside the rear wing panels and its perfect.

Thank you.

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Re: Rusty Bodywork

Post by Bigfootmgf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:31 am

Front wings are prone to rot on all cars. I think water and dirt get trapped there and probably not much paint !
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

CoventryConvert

Post by CoventryConvert » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:35 am

Good Morning,

Many thanks for the reply.

I just thought it odd that the rust was developing in exactly the same place in both wings, a similar thing to images that I see online.

This rust is very early stage so should not be a problem.

Bigfootmgf
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:40 pm

You can get replacments of most of the panels for a f if needed
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

Larry Nicoll
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by Larry Nicoll » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 pm

The first job I had done on mine was to get rust inhibitor professionally applied, Dinitrol I believe?
MGTF : 2005; 15" wheels; 280mm discs all round; servo brace; Mike Satur gear change; Mike Satur 4:2:1 manifold; sports cat; Daytona silencer; KMaps remap

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 pm

I have 2 mk1 1999 MGFs in HFF (BRG).

Both have done around 50k.

The 1.8i had serious rust on the front wings, the VVC doesn't.

The only difference I can see is that one was better looked after than the other one in its early life. It is even possible that the VVC was undersealed professionally.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dallas
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Post by Dallas » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:26 pm

I have a early MK1 (N plate), there is rust on the O/S rear sill and corner of rear wheel arch, but no rust on the N/S sill and no rust on either wings.

I've noticed the later F's seem to have a lot more rust on both sills and front wings, I've also seen TF's with bad rusty scabby front wings.

I have also noticed a lot of F's and TF's being sold on ebay as MOT failures due to serious rot on the undercarriage front and rear etc, its worth checking the MOT history on the gov.uk site for rusty failures when looking to buy.
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:45 pm

Dallas wrote:.....I have also noticed a lot of F's and TF's being sold on ebay as MOT failures due to serious rot on the undercarriage front and rear etc, its worth checking the MOT history on the gov.uk site for rusty failures when looking to buy.
In most instances it is the subframe mounts but people see the word "rust" and assume it is bad.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

andymac1966
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 115

Post by andymac1966 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:09 am

I've just replaced the front subframe on my 2003 TF and I don't think it's the first time it's been done. The one that came out didn't have much in the way of protective paint on it (on the areas without holes !). I've given the new one a few coating layers so will hopefully help. The front wings and rear ends of the o/s and n/s sills have also needed replacement or repair, but apart from that the body is sound. I've put waxoly into the sills, which will hopefully help.

Andy