Hardtop VS Soft-top

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Dallas
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Hardtop VS Soft-top

Post by Dallas » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:20 pm

I was wondering how many owners use a hardtop through the winter months, and do they find their hardtop doesn't fit as well as their soft top?

My BRG TF came with a nearly new matching heritage hardtop, I have tried to fit the roof on two occasions, only to find I don't like how it fits.

It just seems to be a design issue, is this why some owners say hardtops leak worst than soft tops?
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
Born on 8th January 2002 @ 09:02:26
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs
123rd MG TF 135 to be made out of 19,475
145th MG TF to run off the production line out of 41,656

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: Hardtop VS Soft-top

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:47 pm

You may need to adjust the windows, but you can get them to fit snuggly. Where doesn't it meet well?
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Wipers off, roof off!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 am

nigelandjo wrote:You may need to adjust the windows, but you can get them to fit snuggly. Where doesn't it meet well?
Hi Nigel, I find the front of the HT roof squashes into the top windscreen rubber quite a lot, the soft top roof just sits on the rubber just nicely without pushing folding the rubber seal, you can see the HT roof will end up damaging the rubber causing it to split.

The HT doesn't sit of the side catches very well, both legs pretty much don't sit on the shoulder brackets very well, they dont line up flush.

My newly bought 2016 soft top has the very nice rounded corners at each front corner, these corners curve down nicely around the A pillar stopping any water ingress. The HT doesn't have this curve at each corner, you can see small hole where the corners of the roof meet the A pillars, water will penetrate into the interior just like on the early MK1 soft top roofs do.

I find my soft top overlaps the side windows much better, the contour of the soft top overhangs the side windows much more than the heritage hard top does. Once the hard top is fitted you can see gaps around the window rubbers, the side window glass is just resting on the HT rubbers, the windows need to be angled inward more so it makes a better seal.

Both roofs and rubbers are in new condition, the soft top and heritage hard top were new back in 2016, but I find the HT ill fitting.

I don't fancy leaving the soft top open to all elements through the winter, its water tight, doesn't leak. But if I fit the HT, its going to allow water in like a sprinkler. :o
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG
38th MG TF in BRG Pearlescent (code: HFF) to be made out of 3,353 BRG Pearlescent TFs

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:57 pm

You can adjust the height of the feet on the rear of the hardtop. Might be worth taking a look at a couple of other cars fitted with hardtops to see if there's any clues as t how to get yours fitting better. Won't have ours on until after the NEC Classic Car show next month.
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:29 pm

It was 20' here today, and all we are talking about on the forum is fitting hardtops...………...
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:48 am

Dallas wrote:
nigelandjo wrote:You may need to adjust the windows, but you can get them to fit snuggly. Where doesn't it meet well?
Hi Nigel, I find the front of the HT roof squashes into the top windscreen rubber quite a lot, the soft top roof just sits on the rubber just nicely without pushing folding the rubber seal, you can see the HT roof will end up damaging the rubber causing it to split.

:o
You can adjust the tension of the front adjusters on the front seal as well as the rear support brackets. With a bit of time and fiddling you can normally strike a happy compromise with soft and hard top seal fit.

This reminds me, I must get my hardtop out of storage now the weather has given us a window of nice warm weather - nothing like a hardtop to make it more "civilised" in the colder, wet months ;)
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

Dallas

Post by Dallas » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:53 pm

Hey guys, I finally have the hardtop on... :D

Its fitting better with a few adjustments, I'm not totally happy with it, but it will do.

Bring on the rain, I need to test if it leaks :o I do hope not.
1 Kingston 191018.JPG
MG TF 1.8i 135 BRG

Mikeadman
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Post by Mikeadman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:13 pm

Use a hose pipe to test!! :)

Cheers

Mike

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:59 pm

Or the local car wash :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:05 pm

talkingcars wrote:It was 20' here today, and all we are talking about on the forum is fitting hardtops...………...
Another Saturday afternoon and it's hitting 20' in West Sussex again!

gerry.laing
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MG TF 85th

Post by gerry.laing » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Thinking of fitting the hardtop soon as, awaiting an impending hand operation and may be unable to drive for a while.The thing is I have the Le Mans green one from the 135 Sprint that I have not had time to paint to match the white Pearlesent 85th.
My Dielema is the colour: do I go white, Black or metalic grey to match the stripes, I have the latest colour matching scheme by ICI being installed on Tuesday as an up date to our body shop,

nigelandjo

Post by nigelandjo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:08 pm

Colour code it to match the car, complete with stripes.
Nigel May
members@mgfregister.org