Hood fitting - a couple of questions

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Hood fitting - a couple of questions

Post by Gavin207 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:26 am

I'm replacing my original style hood with zip out plastic window with a modern TF hood with fixed glass window.

On the third hood bow I've removed the 7 bolt bar that fixed the hood, and the riveted bar that fixed the window zip. I assume neither is replaced, and the hood isn't fixed to the third bow, so that it separates from the bow when folding the hood, and sits flat on the rear shelf when folded?

Also, I need to buy the rivets to fix the hood, can someone please confirm the size and length of rivets required - I've read that the majority are 3.2mm dia by 15mm long, with two longer 20 mm rivets, but these seem a bit long?
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Re: Hood fitting - a couple of questions

Post by Tipper » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:04 am

Peter at MGFMania is the one to talk to.

http://mgfmania.com/

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:05 pm

I contacted him but he’s not supplying hoods at present.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

It is a few years since I fitted my glass screen hood but IIRC it was the same as the zipped version.

And the rivet sizes sound right.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 am

Gavin207 wrote:I'm replacing my original style hood

Also, I need to buy the rivets to fix the hood, can someone please confirm the size and length of rivets required - I've read that the majority are 3.2mm dia by 15mm long, with two longer 20 mm rivets, but these seem a bit long?
Hey Gavin,

As luck would have it I rivetted in a new fixed plastic window last week. The rivets are indeed as you describe, all 3.2 mm ( 1/8" ) and the length is correct, they are especially long rivets. The original ones are black but I could only get shiny silver ones so I'm headed to a model shop for some black paint. :lol:

There are 2 longer ones that in my car had a larger diameter head, but I couldn't get the correct size so I just tried the 15mm long rivets and that seemed to work fine. A couple of spring loaded clamps will help a lot, oohh and a vacuum cleaner to collect up the drillings from the old rivets.
new hood.jpg
While the job is a bit fiddly, I found it straightforward enough and quite rewarding to now look at my perfectly new rear screen. I worked from the centre outwards when replacing the rivets.
Last edited by RobboMC on Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for the responses. I understand that when fitting a glass screen hood to a car which currently has a plastic screen, additional webbing straps are required between the frame hoop and the rear bow to support the weight of the glass ? If so, does anyone have fitting details or a photo? Do the Chinese TFs with fixed rear windows have these additional straps?
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:38 am

Do these pics help?

I think all glass-rear-screened TFs have these webbing straps; my '05 did and my current Chinese '10 has. The glass is relatively heavy and would 'settle heavily' when putting the hood down.

(It's strange, I miss having the zip-out, fold down rear hole that the plastic screens have. To me the glass is a bit clunky and unnecessary...)
Attachments
2a (3 of 3).jpg
2a (2 of 3).jpg
2a (1 of 3).jpg

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Arty, that's a fantastic help, thanks for posting the photos. i bought some webbing from the market today, so will fit it as per your photos. I can also see from your photos that the rear bar is left bare, and the hood just rests on the top of it, as i suspected.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I used seat belts from a scrapped ZT for my webbing.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by CubMG » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:09 pm

Both the cant rail cables are broken on my hood are these available and easy to change .
Posted here as it is about hood fitting and may help some one find the answer later.
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:07 am

Where did they break? When i took mine off they were OK, but they had copper sleeves over the 'pinch' point where they are clamped, which i suspect helps prevent them failing at the clamp. The sleeves looked like long rivets, if i cant find a piece of suitable copper or brass tube, i'll probably use the body of an aluminium pop rivet.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by CubMG » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:32 am

Mine have gone above the the window about 8 inches back from the front ,they look rusty.
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Gavin207

Post by Gavin207 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:21 pm

Another question about the additional straps - on my hood there is a roll of material above the rear fixing with a slot on either side approximately 2” wide - are these where the straps fit?
C903EF0E-DC26-4A88-A483-4BF075719D83.jpeg
You can just see one of the slots in the photo.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978