"Remapping" MEMS1.9: 5bhp gain :)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

"Remapping" MEMS1.9: 5bhp gain :)

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 am

Hi all,

Had a really interesting Saturday on the Rolling Road, playing with the standard fuelling and ignition settings of MEMS1.9, with surprising and pleasing results!

Background

A little background: we all know the limitations of the earlier versions of modular engine management system (MEMS) fitted to our MGFs: MEMS1.9 and MEMS2J for the MPi and VVC respectively. For those who've been on the "scene" for more years than they care to remember, will remember that the only way that you could alter the maps for these cars was either to use a piggy-back chip (the SuperChips ICON-RACE was the chip of choice back then) or take it to someone who really knew what they were doing, de-solder the original chip, EEPROM flash a map on a new chip, and put this back into the case. I can't imagine why the latter never really caught on... :roll:

This has lead us all to think that these early versions of MEMS are completely inflexible and to tune your engine you need to junk it in favour of an alternative, programmable system.

What I found on Saturday doesn't entirely change this perspective, but for MEMS1.9 at least, there is another option :D

Within Testbook (T4; the original MG Rover diagnostic tool), there has always been the facility to alter ignition and fuelling settings. But T4 has never been a widely available tool for home use (dealer only) - and is frankly a PIA even if you do have one (three different leads, clunky interface on a long-obsolete version of Windows).

Fortunately, within recent times, there has been an emergence of aftermarket tools with some of the functionality of T4. In fact, one of the tools even offered the opportunity to alter the ignition and fuelling settings.

There is now another tool with this facility, the pscan - and as many of you know, I've been working with Philip to develop it's functionality. When I say "working with" I mainly mean badgering the poor guy so I can undertake diagnostics on my aging MG Rover (and now Land Rover) fleet of vehicles... Fortunately, Philip is very patient! :lol:

The tests

When Philip told me that his latest pscan update included the option to alter ignition and fuelling, I booked a rolling road session with Andy Bowden at Novatech in Slough (Dynodynamics test bed). Would changing the ignition and fuelling settings within MEMS1.9 actually do anything? How far can you push it? I figured that the rolling road was the best and safest place to see what was achievable. :)

Naturally, the test subject was Project Shed - a 1996 MGF with 1.8 MPi engine on MEMS1.9. It isn't quite standard: it has a 52mm throttle body breathing through a K&N panel filter with a cold air feed. The cams are R140 (Lotus Sport 135 cams, the same as those fitted to the TF135). An MGF Centre 4-2-1 manifold and a Trevor Taylor single exit exhaust complete the picture. As standard, the engine puts out approx. 134-135bhp - pretty much as you'd expect.
RR_result_default_settings.png

Baseline observations

Unfortunately, the graph above does not show the air:fuel mixture, but it was around 12:1 through much of the rev range. Peak power is typically made at 13:1, so what we saw is essentially in line with what everyone says: the standard K-series - and even my lightly modified, K-series with warmer cams - runs rich. If we can lean this mixture off, there will be power to be gained. We shall come to that later...

Changing the MEMS1.9 map settings

Next we connected up the pscan to the diagnostic port (easily accessed above the fuse board in a car with much of the dashboard cut away ;)) and set the ECU to its "default" settings. This made absolutely no difference whatsoever to the power output: pscan can't really tell you what the current settings are (a shame - not sure whether Philip can pull this data or not, but what you see on pscan is what you see on TestBook - so even the Rover tool doesn't tell you this rather important information). But in our case, it would seem that the car was in its factory default setting.

Optimising the ignition advance

The next step was to retard the ignition. If the ignition setting is anywhere safe, you'd expect retarding the ignition to knock back engine power - and we did this to see where we were for the standard settings. Unsurprisingly, we found that the engine dropped power everywhere.

Within T4, you can advance or retard the ignition 5 degrees from standard. You don't want to advance the ignition too far - and generally those who remap engines tend to use as little advance as possible (and perhaps knock things back a bit once peak power is achieved) to maintain reliability.
First, we advanced the ignition 2 degrees. This netted us a +2bhp gain across the rev range. We decided to advance another 2 degrees. Perhaps 0.5bhp; we knocked back to 3 degrees - same output. On my engine, it would seem advancing the ignition 2-3 degrees gave us the best power output.

Optimising the fuelling

Now for fuelling.

Unfortunately we don't really know quite how these ignition or fuelling settings effect the standard map*: whether adding ignition or taking fuel does this over the whole map, over selected parts, or variably across the map we could not really ascertain. It "feels" like it is working uniformly across the whole map. The fuelling can be altered by 120 units either way - adding or removing. What those units are, we haven't worked out.

[* when we're talking about the map here, we are only talking about the "open loop" map - how the engine is feed spark and fuel when the accelerator pedal is depressed; the "closed loop" map, which adjusts spark and fuel in accordance to the Lambda reading when the engine is in steady state is, we believe, completely unaltered]

We started gingerly - taking out 10 units. This added a little power, took a little out of the air:fuel mixture. We decided to man-up and took 30units out the fuelling. This moved more decisively. 60 units out, still heading in the right direction. Then 70 units: too much! The air:fuel mixure at low rpm was far too lean, and the run was aborted at 3000rpm. Then 65 units out - the Goldilocks region it would seem: we still didn't reach the 13:1 sweet spot, and the standard map at peak power was still running a little too rich - but with 3 degrees advance and 65 units less fuel we saw a round 140bhp on the dyno. That's an extra 3 bhp by taking out the amount of fuel added! More fuel doesn't mean more power; more doesn't always equate to more ;)

We went back to the ignition settings - and elected to take 0.5 degrees out of the advance we put in to give us this:
RR_result_optimised_settings.png
As near as dammit the same power and with an air:fuel mixture as close as optimum as we could get it. :D

The proof-of-the-pudding is the driving - and driving back into London on a Saturday lunch time gives a mixture of motorways, main roads and urban roads with a mix of free-flowing traffic and congested stop-start frustration.

Driving impressions

We've added five horses, but have added a kangaroo.

I'll explain. The acceleration felt more instantaneous and smoother. I thought this was placebo effect, but if you scrutinize the torque curve, the fuel and ignition changes have flattened out the curve substantially - and it transitions from acceleration to steady state to deceleration very smoothly. The extra power is only just noticeable, but that is to be expected: the rule of thumb is that only gains of around 10bhp+ are generally really noticeable. The alteration in the low-mid-range torque is the most palpable: where typically there is a bit of a dip there is now none. :)

And the kangaroo? Only noticeable if, like me, you trundle along in very slow moving traffic in second gear and modulate engine speed with the accelerator with the engine turning at around 1500 rpm. The "re-map" only effects open throttle states, not when the engine is in "closed-loop" - and this remains the factory, full-fat-fuel default map - and consequently the transition from open- to closed-loop and back again isn't as smooth as it ought to be. Project Shed is about 150kg lighter than standard, amplifying this effect, but for the gains, I can live with the slight loss of this low-speed driving refinement. This is my race car remember. ;)

Conclusions

The 5 bhp gain and the general improvement in the torque curve was very pleasing. It just cost me some rolling road time. And now I know the safe limits for this particular engine, I can tweak the settings at my leisure using a pscan. The improvement in power and general acceleration is pretty much exactly what you get from Mark Stacey's MEMS3 reprogramming - but without the option of putting in exhaust pops on overrun, and doesn't have that last word of very low-speed transition between maps that occurs as a consequence of tweaking just the "open-loop" table. But if you have the appropriate tool, you can adjust this out with time to give the best possible result for your taste.

What it isn't is a true re-map. Without doubt, with a fully re-programmable ECU you could probably massage a bit more out of the engine and maintain driving refinement. But that'll cost you a bunch more cash. In my case, it cost me a fun hour of rolling road time and the tool I already had (or in this case, actually Philip's as he came along to see whether the software and hardware performed as it should; it did). I think I'll take my other MEMS1.9 car for a bit of rolling road fettling too - and that would be my recommendation: play with the fuel and ignition settings as much as you like, but do establish the "safe limits" for your car's engine on a rolling road first. What worked on Project Shed may not be quite the same for yours.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: "Remapping" MEMS1.9: 5bhp gain :)

Post by colintf » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:17 am

Very interesting Rob
Thanks for sharing that with us :)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:02 pm

one small correction.
When you change timing or open loop mixture the ECU tells the diagnostic tool where it now is.
The pscan tool will then put this on the screen.
The tool doesn't know where the ECU is until you change something, that's just how MG Rover made it.

If you want to see where it is then there is a way.
If you click on mixture plus and then mixture minus once and only once then you will be back where you were, but now the setting will be on screen.
Similarly if you click on timing advance once and then timing retard once then you will be back where you were and it will now be on screen.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:32 pm

Yes, I see - thanks Philip :)

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:17 pm

I wonder what the effect would be on a MEMS2J vvc. I'll have a go as soon as it is available for the early vvc engine
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:37 pm

I don't think it is possible in MEMS 2J unfortunately.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Oddly, James is absolutely right: 2J doesn’t have this facility. Only 1.6 and 1.9 do - and 1.6 doesn’t seem to retain the instructions, whereas 1.9 does!

It’s strange, and I don’t understand why this is the case...?

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:15 am

Rob Bell wrote:It’s strange, and I don’t understand why this is the case...?
Well, it’s British automotive electrics, what did you expect? :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 am

Just one of those idiosyncrasies indeed!

2J is a much more powerful processor than 1.9 (one of the reasons why 2J was used for multi-point fuel injection on the A-series fitted to the classic Mini: the Siamesed ports make fuelling quite a challenge!) - so perhaps it is also capable of greater adaption to conditions? Or may be the ability to adjust ignition and fuelling is just a "legacy feature" that was simply deleted as it was not needed on the later, more advanced 2J system?

Just speculation of course. We'd need to track down the original engine management development team to really understand this.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Oddly, James is absolutely right:
Blimin' cheeky!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:35 am

talkingcars wrote:
Rob Bell wrote:Oddly, James is absolutely right:
Blimin' cheeky!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsu:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Sorry James! Not odd that you’re right, but odd that it’s right! Oh dear... :oops: :lol:

ErikB
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF PTP RT-Sport 165

Post by ErikB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:48 pm

Nice write-up Rob.

Being long enough in the scene, I am not sure I would say the ICON Race unit was the option to go for. I seemed some were working properly while others were on a goal to eat engines. You will also know the amusing threads on good ol' BBS.

For completeness sake:
- could you share what fuel you were using ?
- are you using a calibrated FPR ?

Have you giving it a thought that less fuel also means less cooling? I don't know to what degree the 60 to 70 units less will have an impact, but that would be my concern although the air:fuel ratio is within the safe range.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Hi Erik - :lol: - yes, I remember a certain Volcano Orange VVC melting its exhaust manifold while running an ICON! But others had fairly decent results (particularly when they were set up on a RR).

[nostalgia mode] Good times :D ;) [/nostalgia mode]

For the questions: standard 95Ron pump fuel (Shell IIRC). Standard 3.0bar FPR.

When you mention cooling, you're referring to cooling of the exhaust valves? To be honest, no, not given that a second thought. Plenty of cars out there with mapped engines running more extreme fuel and timing than I've elected for - and almost uniformly without problems. We intentionally dialed things back a little to give as near as possible the same power but with more conservative values for fuel and ignition. :) The air:fuel ratio never really drops below 13:1 - and should comfortably within the safe range for these tough little engines.

Just a thought: these engines were originally designed to be "lean-burn" and run far leaner air:fuel ratios. I don't know whether those development engines had a different specification of valve material to that used on the production engines?