Never start a manual car with the clutch IN

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Never start a manual car with the clutch IN

Post by RobboMC » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 am

In my ongoing quest to learn about how our cars tick I have come across some interesting opinions about manual cars.

In the US, many manual cars now come with a 'clutch switch'; the idea being that the starter motor will not go unless the clutch pedal is depressed,
ensuring a child cannot turn the key and start the car. One of my sons used a driving school car with a switch like this.

I am told with the clutch depressed, the pressure plate exerts force onto the crankshaft thrust bearings ( also called thrust washers )

This is fine with a running engine with normal oil pressure, BUT in the moment when you crank the starter motor there is no oil pressure,
and all the bearings are going to be dry, particularly when cold after a night ( or weeks ) on the garage. I am reliably told that your main and big end bearings can handle this, and anyway you have no other choice except to walk; but car makers are supposedly finding faster wear in the thrust bearings of cars with clutch switches.

Ssssssoooooooo...... do not crank you starter motor with the clutch pedal depressed. Always start with neutral gear engaged and your foot OFF the clutch pedal.

As with all things on here, this is just an opinion, but it can't seem to do any harm starting our cars this way.

johncooper
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGTF 135 M.G. M type

Re: Never start a manual car with the clutch IN

Post by johncooper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 pm

I remember a friend having a Japanese car (can't remember what) on which you couldn't start the engine unless the clutch was depressed. Another way to time limit a car so that repairs are necessary?

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:13 pm

Not just the US, Canada as well. Our Toyota is like that, what a pain in the butt.
Mark

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by CubMG » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:08 pm

Always start mine with the clutch in ,all my cars from the when I started driving .It prevented running down the chap with the red flag if the gears were engaged . My bikes have switches on the clutch as well.
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:15 pm

Most new cars have to have the clutch depressed to start our last 2 Skodas did.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:24 pm

My daily alfa 159 requires either the clutch or the brake to be depressed, I normally press the brake.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:07 pm

Advanced driving organisations always advocate depressing the clutch when starting the car. This guards against the car being in gear and reduces the load on the starter motor and battery - which can be useful in cold winters.

I was taught to do this when I learnt to drive and have been doing so for the last 50-odd years. It certainly saved me on at least one occasion when the 'stirring the pudding' gear lever/gearbox in a (it was either an Allegro or Metro) suggested it was in neutral but was actually in gear when starting.

Similar to others above, it's a requirement of my current Audi.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Bazzajay
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:15 am

Far simpler to fit a switch to the gearbox so that the car won't start unless it's in Neutral.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:41 pm

I think someone is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving. Having been an Advanced Police Driving Instructor we ALWAYS taught students to start the car with the clutch depressed. This is because we encourage people to leave the car in gear when parked, to stop it running away - there are many cases of that happening particularly cars with handbrakes that work on rear disc rear brakes, and also to avoid smashing the front or rear of the car into a wall or another vehicle when operating the starter (believe me it happens, often).

In all my years driving and dismantling engines I have never come across this "worn out thrust bearing" scenario, except when allied to other wear problems in the engine.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:59 am

One benefit is if you stall the car when you dip the clutch pedal it starts up well at least our Skodas do :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

ZSx
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:28 am

My MG6 cannot be started without depresssing the clutch...

Also i was always taught to hold the clutch down when starting as it reduces wear and load on most componant. ..

I suppose whatever you do, someone will find fault and a better way to do it, i for one will keep depressing the clutch on my ZS, the F and even the RX8 (missed the 6 deliberately, as no choice with that one)

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:28 am

Reckless Rat wrote:I think someone is trying to solve a problem that doesn't need solving.
In all my years driving and dismantling engines I have never come across this "worn out thrust bearing" scenario, except when allied to other wear problems in the engine.
As far as I'm aware, thrust bearings don't normally get a pressurised oil supply, depending on the plentiful supply of extruded oil from nearby bearings. On a cold start, no bearing gets a full pressure oil supply anyway :roll:

A benefit of depressing the clutch on a cold start is taking the load of the drag of the gearbox bearings/ oil off the starter motor, sometimes essential to spin the engine fast enough to fire up.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k