Won't start in the damp

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Jasper2019
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Won't start in the damp

Post by Jasper2019 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:18 am

This has been a longstanding issue with my '98 MGF but now I would like to really resolve the issue as the will it-won't it uncertainty is presenting a problem for the morning commute.

If my MGF if left out in the rain overnight under no cover, it is very 50/50 if it will start in the morning. It turns and ever so nearly fires... but doesn't. Eventually I can try and try until the battery runs flat and it just groans until the clicks that signal, yep, it's gone. If I don't take it that far it turns over but doesn't fire. Very occasionally, it will fire eventually and off we go.

Sometimes if it's damp, but no rain, it won't fire. If it's under cover like a car port, it struggles, but most of the time it will fire after a bit of a struggle.

I replaced the leads, that had no effect. Since being under cover seemed to help, I've covered the air vents by the boot overnight to stop rain coming in to even see if that helped - but that doesn't make any difference.

Any idea what I can do? Various garages I've taken it to don't know the answer and have always just said "change the leads", which I've done.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Won't start in the damp

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:32 am

Low Voltage. Cables or Battery. Buy a Voltmeter.
Geoff.F

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:45 pm

I usually start with cleaning & tightening any earth connections.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Jasper2019

Post by Jasper2019 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:49 pm

The battery is only 3 months old. Replacing it has made no difference. New leads have made no difference.
Which cables are you referring to Geoff.F?

Neil Rushton - I'm not mechanical, what should I be doing and where (and how!)?

Thanks.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Is this a VVC or MPi?

If an MPi, it'll most likely be a problem with the distributor cap/rotor arm. If relatively new, be aware that the quality of aftermarket replacements is appalling. Buy genuine MG Rover or Land Rover parts.

If a VVC, it is likely to be a problem with the long HT leads from the block-mounted coils. These have always proven somewhat problematic, as they can get damp directly from rain etc entering through the boot deck cooling vents. Good quality HT leads are the answer, and Magnecore are extremely good in my experience. Have these on both my MGFs :)

Jasper2019

Post by Jasper2019 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:17 pm

It's a VVC. So I replaced the HT leads about a year ago. At the time I'd heard good things about the Magnecore leads but couldn't find them anywhere, so I bought a set from Halfords which were supposed to be good quality (ie. not the cheapest/most basic).

Like you say Rob, I feared damp was coming from those cooling vents just behind the boot. Yet when I've covered those vents completely when it rains, it still has the same problem.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:16 pm

I'd still be suspicious of the HT leads, but being new, hopefully that is not the problem.

Coil fault? The VVC has two, both mounted on the back of the cylinder block, under the inlet manifold.

Jasper2019

Post by Jasper2019 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:29 pm

Can I check the coils myself? Like I said, I'm not familiar with the technicalities of MGFs. Used to know a bit about what I was doing with old MGs, but it's a black box of seemingly unreachable stuff with the MGF! Step by step please, how do I get to the coils and if I get to them how do I know if they're the problem by sight?

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:05 pm

The coils on a Mk1 VVC are one of the more awkward parts to get to. They are riveted to a carrier bracket which in turn is bolted to the engine block with two (iirc) M8 bolts. And they sit right beneath the coolant pipe, thermostat and its hoses, so one would think they’re easy to get to from underneath. There, sadly, sits the exhaust flexi pipe.

A replacement coil pack ist about £75 and with it being such a massive pita to swap, I would suggest the following as a permanent fix:

Leave the old coils where they are, remove all their wiring (including the LT ones). Get a MEMS 3 rocker cover incl the plastic coil cover, a set of coils from a Trophy or TF/TR160 plus the wires (LT – long enough! – and HT) to connect them. Remove old rocker cover and replace with the MEMS3 one. Connect the LT wires for the old coils to the MEMS3 ignition wiring loom, the colours are identical: brown-pink is the +12v supply for both coils, white-orange is for coil 1, white-black for coil 2. You might want to trace the original wires back to the ECU connector block to make up a proper wiring loom.

Fit new coils and connect them to the newly made wiring loom and the HT cables for cylinders 2 and 4, bolt in coils and try to starte the engine. If everything works as it should, fit the plastic coil cover and have a cold one as reward. :thumbsu:

btw it’s not important if the rocker cover is off a VVC/160 engine. The only difference for the MPI is the hole for the cam shaft sensor above the exhaust cam, which is not needed on the VVC. You can simply leave the old sensor in as a plug.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Jasper2019

Post by Jasper2019 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:40 pm

Thanks Mykel, that is certainly step by step, but I don't think I can do that, I'm just not familiar enough with it all to identify the parts, let alone be sure what I'm doing with them. How did you even begin (top or under?)?! Nevertheless, I'll have a good read and re-read of it, and if I have some tips on how to start, I'll have a good go.

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 am

Double and triple check the earth connections first! Best rule out the easiest things before moving into things that are hard :)

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:37 pm

I might agree with Mykel but he assumes that you have his experience.
1st. Spray all the ignition system with WD40 Dewatering Fluid.
2nd. I have a cigar lighter plug to connect to a Voltage Multimeter. A quick check for possible connection problems albeit not definite.
Geoff.F

AndyH
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by AndyH » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:41 pm

All valid comments.
Had these problems. Solved with new HT leads, a new distributor cap and rotor arm and I think very importantly new spark plugs set to the lowest possible setting of 0.8

I have had no problems since.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:57 pm

Any updates Jasper? :)