TF160 - Tyres (an ever present conversation!)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
K.T.F
MGF Register Region: South East

TF160 - Tyres (an ever present conversation!)

Post by K.T.F » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:38 am

Hi All,

After a 5 year break from MG ownership I have returned (!) and got myself a TF160 which was bought with tyres one year old and Toyos all round. Only problem is that the fronts are Japanese made and rears are Malaysian which is not a good combination. I have done some exploration and tried online to get Japanese rears, or Malaysian fronts but without any luck. I have just been in contact with Toyo UK and they stated the following...
The Proxes T1-R has now ceased production and has been replaced by the Proxes TR1 https://www.toyo.co.uk/tire/pattern/new-proxes-tr1
We are currently in a transition period and currently we only have the 195/45R16 in stock, the 215/40R16 are due to arrive in our warehouse in August, that said some of our customers who order direct containers are due to get stock this month (Protyre, Total Tyres)
Although this has been helpful, I don't want to drive the car with it's current set. I've look at Falken's but these don't seem to be manufactured as per the MG Bulletin about TF tyres.

Are there any thoughts out there for suitable tyres - any thoughts would be appreciated.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Re: TF160 - Tyres (an ever present conversation!)

Post by Neil Rushton » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:51 pm

After suffering the Toyo miss match we're now running Falkens on our 2010 TF & find them every bit as good as the Toyos except the tread doesn't look as good 8-)
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:57 pm

I think the issue you may be referring to here is that the old MG Bulletin refers to Falken ZE912, which have now been replaced by the ZE914?

I'm now on my second set of 914's on the TF, without issue (excepting a puncture ;) ).

There are lots of posts on here about the 914's if you're in any doubt.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Mikeadman
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Post by Mikeadman » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:30 pm

No issues with 914,s really pleased with them

Cheers

Mike

K.T.F

Post by K.T.F » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:01 am

Thanks for the replies and I'll search out some 914s :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:28 pm

Good option :thumbsu:

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:52 pm

Surely it would be better to drive the car around for a bit to see if it feels OK before you whack-out a load of dosh.

In my own case, it was definitely not OK !! The extreme nervousness of the car had me thinking of selling it on after only a few months, (car is a 2009 135 bought in Spring 2014). This had the original Goodyears on three wheels and a Continental on one of the rears. The original Goodyears were no longer made, so I couldn't just replace the Conti. When I fitted a full set of the Falken ZE914s the car was transformed, so I kept the car and still have it.