MGTF Tyres - 2019 UPDATE!

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

MGTF Tyres - 2019 UPDATE!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:25 am

Just had an email from Roger Parker, who is happy for me to share his email with everyone, concerning tyres for the TF.

As we all know, both the MGF and the TF are "fussy" about their tyres - TF arguably more so. Therefore, when previously recommended tyres cease to become available, we're forced to go "off-piste" - but good news, as Roger explains:
Roger Parker wrote:Rob,

A heads up that Falken may soon be reducing production of their ZE914 tyre that is one of the approved tyres for TF and they are starting to introduce the replacement which is the ZE310. I have been liaising with Andy Kitson for some months and he put a business plan through to SMTC and MG Motor for additional tyre testing to verify the suitability of the ZE310 for the MG Motor TF (and cascading down to MG Rover TF and MGF).

This was declined but having got Falken on board with tyre supply, Andy was able to complete a road test programme to the same level as was applied to previous MG tyre testing and has been able to conclude that the new ZE310 Ecorun is suitable as a replacement tyre for TF. He also extended the testing with the tyre pressures that are applicable for the MGF although using a TF, and this concluded that the tyre remained suitable. I have a fuller report in the offing for probably August EMG and I can forward you a copy of that closer to the time, but in the meantime knowing that the new ZE310 is acceptable in the usual full set of four and at recommended tyre pressures will be a comfort to many.

Rog
This is good news: the ZE310 will be replacing the well-regarded ZE914 as the "recommended" tyre of the TF.

Let me know if there are any questions, and I can liaise with both Andy and Roger. :thumbsu:

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Re: MGTF Tyres - 2019 UPDATE!

Post by Barbour » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:43 pm

That is really good news, thank you, Roger and Andy for your efforts.

Please keep us posted on on the August report.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks Rob, Roger and Andy :)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:25 am

That's good to know, as I'll need to replace my rear tyres in the not too distant future. Thanks very much chaps
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver