Sprints cut short

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Sprints cut short

Post by Andrew Regens » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:36 am

Well after waiting two hours after suggested start time due to fog, I did a warm up lap then 2/3rds of the fast lap NO gears, clutch centre separated from the rest. That was last weekend.
I now have my car back with a heavier duty clutch fitted and whilst out replaced slave and master cylinder ready for an OST and then a few weeks later sprints.
This was a first non finish in approx five years so I can’t complain to Mitch.... but I will!!!!
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: Sprints cut short

Post by colintf » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:13 am

Good to see you still using yours in competition Andrew :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:56 am

Was that the original clutch Andrew? Mine's slipping, but I have track-day tyres on it, and I think they generate more grip than the clutch can handle when the engine is at max torque.

There's an AP Racing clutch on the shopping list now! :lol:

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:28 am

Reading Andrew's tag line perhaps the limited slip diff also contributed to the clutch overload. :?

flyingbanana
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by flyingbanana » Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:09 pm

I run a type b torsen with an uprated coverplate on the race car - no problems at all.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:24 am

Planning to fit a type A, with lightened flywheel and an AP racing clutch - which will hopefully handle the loads! :)