Hydragas Suspension

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Hydragas Suspension

Post by Green Squirrel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:00 pm

Just Has the units changed by Ian & Dawn Kennedy of www.hydrususpensio.com -- fantastic result the car's ride is now as it was 23 years ago !!! WOW :D

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Re: Hydragas Suspension

Post by CubMG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:05 pm

Just think you could have had them recharged for £108 with the original factory rig with no welding
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Green Squirrel

Post by Green Squirrel » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:11 pm

Oh ?? Tell us more PLEASE

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:02 pm

Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

alect
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 VVC

Post by alect » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:15 am

I can vouch for Kevins recharging, our MGF had lost most of the gas over 21 years, I found Kevin on E Bay after a futile excursion with Mike Satur valves.
Dropped of my replacement units and had them back a few days later once refitted the car is fantastic dont have to avoid speed bumps any more!
Of course it does mean removing the old spheres and replacing them yourself, or getting a garage to do it which may be expensive in terms of labour.
The fronts are easy, the rears are a little trickier especially the passenger side, I had to remove the engine cover and the air filter assembly to get access to the pipework.
I have a Liquid Levers hydrolastic machine which makes the whole process simple, if anyone up here in the North West would like any help with their suspension I would be only too happy tp help.
Last edited by alect on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Squirrel

Post by Green Squirrel » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:53 am

OK so you have a damn good operation --- for £108 you would have come to my premises in SE London, recharged the units, recharged the system, road tested the vehicle and given me back my car with the ride just as it was in 1996 when we bought it! Now that sounds like a real bargain. Pity I did not know about it in fact how comes I did not know about it? It's not as though I am new to the MGF world and I try and keep myself up to date with all developments !! However at 81 and having had two knees replaced and half a lung removed (should have given up smoking much earlier than the twenty years ago that I did) I am now past DIY so have to get others to do the work for me.

PS Good luck with your operation !!

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:30 pm

The reply is not from Kevin,but a satisfied customer , Getting a garage to remove the spheres and send them off is still cheaper ;) £350 to get them done in Telford or £108 from Kevin plus postage in both cases .

Green Squirrel

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:32 am

You are probably right price wise BUT I did not have to take my car to a ''garage'' and it was done instantly -- you get what you pay for.

I might have considered ''Kevin'' had I known about his operation BUT I didn't -- so come on Kevin lets hear from you.

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Post by Db09 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:19 pm

Many thanks to charless
He took time to come to my place today to give My Steptronic a suspension pump up .
He did a great job allayed my fears . Lucifer looks 100%better . Also many thanks for sorting out key fobs on both my fs .
He is a credit to the mg world .

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:54 pm

Well done Ted! I did this some years ago, at the time all suspected it could be done but no-one dared. Since then driving Ghost has been a pleasure like having a new car as you've seen along the Rhine.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:03 pm

Embarrassingly, I have still to fit my re-charged spheres to my F! Still, with Schrader valves, any future re-charges ought to be pretty simple...

I hadn't known about Kevin either - but hey ho! I don't think he was offering the service when the hydragas spheres were sent off to be reconditioned (and I still owe you a set Charles!)

Yojic
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Yojic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:17 pm

Well if anyone is in the Norwich area, I have this and it works well. (improvised Hydrolastic pump) cost me £65! :thumbsu:
Front suspension pumped up.png
HP hand pump.png
HP Shraeder VV adapter.png
It did the job and did not take long to do.

BR

Dave
[/color]Cars...BMW 330D, MGF 75th Anniversary, MG Midget K-Series maybe :sf:
Triumph TR6 CP soon to be pristine :kiss: (in about 10 years :lol: )

Getting into restoration with my young Son "Seb"

Yojic
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Yojic » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:25 pm

Ah, the Nitrogen sphere section. Yet to experiment on the top end of the unit. I have four Schraeder valves (threaded), I may drill and weld (TIG) in the shraeder as I understand that refrigeration companies maybe able to fill the nitrogen part to the correct pressure, umm food for thought.
[/color]Cars...BMW 330D, MGF 75th Anniversary, MG Midget K-Series maybe :sf:
Triumph TR6 CP soon to be pristine :kiss: (in about 10 years :lol: )

Getting into restoration with my young Son "Seb"