Steptronic Help

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Steptronic Help

Post by dwkmgf » Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:49 am

Bit of a longshot this.

The 'bung' on my Steptronic gearbox dipstick has disintegrated with age- the bits I have are held in place with masking tape in roughly the correct position! Could any Steptronic owners out there do me a favour. Could you measure the length of the gearbox dipstick from the tip to the bottom of the bung/handle. The part is unavailable anywhere and I want to effect a repair using a cork shaped to fit the dipstick tube.
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

the.postman
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Re: Steptronic Help

Post by the.postman » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:22 am

Tip to bottom of handle is 380mm. Tip to the bit that stops on the dipstick tube is 428mm
Attachments
IMG_2476.JPG

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi Dave.
Are you aware that the gearbox is from ZF Germany. They are fitted to the BMW MINI and many other German Cars. Google will show you their Service Agents in the UK.
Geoff.F

the.postman
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by the.postman » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:12 am

As far as I'm aware, the Mini didn't have a dipstick in their cvt box but used the "fill till it pours out method"