Oil filler

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Nanpean
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Oil filler

Post by Nanpean » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:30 pm

My son and I have been having fun with our MGF project. All went well and we got it on the road a few weeks ago.

Then………. the head gasket went when my boy was driving it on the M5, which resulted in the Police and the RAC getting involved.

But we have now replaced the head gasket, and all seems well. Apart from me not remembering which hole was used to attach the oil filler to the inlet manifold. Unfortunately, there is a choice of two holes on the bracket, if I choose the wrong one then the dipstick won’t read correctly.

Can anyone help?
Attachments
20190923_172305.jpg

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Oil filler

Post by talkingcars » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:59 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

My son and I have a MGF project but progress is much slower than yours.

Sorry I can't help with your problem.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:14 pm

Having just replaced the bracket on one of my cars, I can confirm it's the top hole.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:07 pm

It is the top one -

I've had to glue the threaded insert back into the inlet manifold on both MGFs!

Nanpean

Post by Nanpean » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Thanks. I probably will need to take out 1/2 litre once I moved it down but I will know it will be right.

ArntyR
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:24 pm

Hi folks. I wonder how many others are as curious as me (perhaps we out to get out in our F/TFs more :-))?

Mine's a 2010 MGMotors TF and I've just taken a pic that shows the bottom mounting hole instead...

I've changed the oil + filter with it like this and used a 4l pack plus around ~0.5l to bring it to the top of the stick - much the same as my ex-'05 TF so I suppose I need to ask nigelandjo in particular to confirm whether they changed the bracket on one of their 'chinese' TFs - or, if not, please confirm the fitment on one or both of their later TFs, please?

I wonder if my first action ought to be to drop mine down and see how much the dipstick 'overfills'?

(I'm a bit loath to do this since a 4.5l fill including the filter seems 'about as right as I've always done' in my experience with F 115, then TF 115 and now TF 135, plus I 'did' a friend's F recently + it took 4l w/out a filter swap...)
Attachments
dipstick.jpg
Last edited by ArntyR on Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nanpean

Post by Nanpean » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:05 pm

Why aren't things simple. The only solution is to annoy all MGF owners I see by asking " can I see your dip stick ".

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:26 pm

I'll need to take a look at one of the 85ths in daylight. The bracket I referred to changing was on an MGF Trophy.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:31 am

It's definitely the bottom one on our 2010 TF I've just been in the garage to check, for some reason it has blue marker paint on the bolt head?

Edit: looking at the OPs picture it definitely looks like the bolt has been in the top hole to be honest?
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Hi Neil Rushton, thanks for checking on yours :-). I wonder if nigelandjo (or anybody else) will be able to provide a casting vote?

Yes the OP's pic shows that the top hole has been used on his F, supported by Rob Bell's F, but paradoxically mine doesn't look as if it's had a bolt through it, so doubting myself and then looking up my own Feb'19 img gasket replacement pics - I left it in place - I can't see that I've taken mine off to put it back on through the wrong hole. Mine had a professional cambelt replacement by a previous owner in 2017; would it have need to have been removed then? (Not sure I can think why...)

Perhaps it'll be yet another MGMotors mystery/enhancement, but with my next oil + filter change I'll definitely be putting the handbook recommended 4.5l in and noting with care where it comes on the dip-stick...

ps I wonder what the blue marker paint might indicate?

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Perhaps the blue marker paint is to ensure the bolt goes back in the correct place if you remove it? :x :lol:
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Nanpean

Post by Nanpean » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:34 pm

I did not think the mark on the top hole was so noticeable when my son pointed it out. But in the picture it's clear.

May be the aluminum manifold uses the bottom hole and the plastic manifold uses the top? The result is, Rover is happy as only one part is needed and everyone else is confused.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Just to add some confusion to the mix. I have two January 1996 Mpis using the top hole and one 1999 VVC using the bottom hole. I suspect it may be something to do with the manifold - aluminium/plastic.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:42 pm

ArntyR wrote:Hi Neil Rushton, thanks for checking on yours :-). I wonder if nigelandjo (or anybody else) will be able to provide a casting vote?

Yes the OP's pic shows that the top hole has been used on his F, supported by Rob Bell's F, but paradoxically mine doesn't look as if it's had a bolt through it, so doubting myself and then looking up my own Feb'19 img gasket replacement pics - I left it in place - I can't see that I've taken mine off to put it back on through the wrong hole. Mine had a professional cambelt replacement by a previous owner in 2017; would it have need to have been removed then? (Not sure I can think why...)

Perhaps it'll be yet another MGMotors mystery/enhancement, but with my next oil + filter change I'll definitely be putting the handbook recommended 4.5l in and noting with care where it comes on the dip-stick...

ps I wonder what the blue marker paint might indicate?
I'm not sure what you mean.
I thought the lower end of the dip stick tube was bolted to the block with two set screws - hence the tube can't be moved up and down?

Surely, as suggested, it might be differences in inlet manifolds that determines which hole you use. It would make sense to make the bracket with two holes, just use the one which shows witness marks and a natural resting place. No problem :thumbsu:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:52 pm

Loadsa checking (thanks folks) and almost as much variation :-).
F/TFs like to provide challenges; don't we know it!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:29 pm

Ah - there may be a difference dependening on whether you have the plastic inlet manifold (as mine and Nanpean has) or the alloy inlet manifold - that there are two holes suggest that the oil filler bracket has a dual use for both MPi and VVC engines, and of course the 135PS HP MPi variant shares the same inlet plenum as the VVC :)

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:41 am

Yes that looks like the common denominator. Thanks for that; good to have closure + to purge unnecessary concerns...

Mike H
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:54 pm

As with Neil, some posts above, 2010 plate TF, definitely the bottom hole.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Nanpean

Post by Nanpean » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Thanks for the replies and the conclusion made.

I have now moved the filler to the top hole as I have a plastic manifold. The has moved the dip stick reading as shown in the photos
Attachments
20190929_141253.jpg
20190929_135937.jpg