ULEZ compliance

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

ULEZ compliance

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Dear all,

I don't know how many the London ULEZ will impact, but it will certainly impact me as I live within the confines of the North Circular. Which will mean a punitive emissions tax every time I want to drive my 1995/96 MGF. :rant:

Interestingly, EU3 approved MEMS3-equipped cars are ULEZ exempt, because the K-series was homologated with a very low NOx level, which seems to be all that ULEZ is really concerned about.

According to Philip Christain (he of pscan fame), K-series engines have been retro-approved for ULEZ - by presumably upgrading older MEMS1.9 and 2J to MEMS3 specification. Can I find anything related to this on a Google search? Nope. Anything on any official websites? Nope.

So I've found https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/tr ... heme-cvras

I have emailed the CVRAS team, and will let you know the answer. And if I haven't heard from them, I'll call. I'm having to sell one of my MGs because of this (the ZTT CDTi) and I don't want to get rid of any of the others (or end up having to trailer them out of the emissions zone).

So annoying. :evil:

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Re: ULEZ compliance

Post by Green Squirrel » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:14 pm

We are just outside the boundary BUT if we head west from our estate 200 yards sees us entering the ULEZ zone !

johncooper
Model of Car: MGTF 135 M.G. M type

Post by johncooper » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:40 pm

You can check if your car is eligible for a charge under ULEZ by logging on to tfl.gov.uk and then going to Check Your Vehicle and then by simply putting in your registration number. I've just checked my 2004 54 MGF/TF 135 and it is not liable for the charge.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:16 am

I'm still waiting to hear back regarding whether converting from MEMS 1.9/2J to MEMS3 will lead to exemption from ULEZ charges. Will call them this afternoon if nothing heard back by email (this is officialdom, so phone call will be necessary!)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:43 am

No email. Called contact number. Given new email address (transportadvice@est.org.uk). :roll:

I have emailed new email address. It'll be "interesting" to see whether I get a response, but there doesn't appear to be a direct telephone number attached to this email address that I can find.

I'll let you all know...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:10 pm

Update time - there are a couple of emails going through the system, but I have had one response so far, which I reproduce here with my original email in the trail:
Colin Smith wrote:Dear Rob

Many thanks for your email, unfortunately we do not have any approved retrofit systems for petrol cars to take a petrol car from pre-Euro 4 to Euro 4 equivalence. We are not expecting any retrofit system supplier to develop systems for this market sector due to the limited market demand that would justify the investment. TfL would only accept a retrofitted vehicle if the system was CVRAS approved.

I understand this is considered a cherished vehicle but unfortunately not quite “historic vehicle” tax class/status that would be exempt from the ULEZ. The only way I think TfL would recognise your car as ULEZ compliant is if you could provide the evidence to TfL that the vehicle was now Euro 4 level for NOx (i.e. 0.08 g/km or 80mg/km) as tested over the New European Drive Cycle (even though this has been superseded by the WLTC). This would also most likely be needed to get your V5C document changed to reflect the new NOx value and alter the record on the DVLA database. This is not a simple MOT style test and it would need to be conducted at a VCA approved test facility on a rolling road and not cheap to conduct, this could be around £8k to £10k, so along with the cost of the conversion this test would also need to be covered by yourself or the supplier of the conversion. The test would be equivalent to the one conducted by MG to get the original type approval values.

If you are only driving this vehicle occasionally then it may take quite a while to repay the cost of conversion and the emissions approval test when the daily charge is £12.50. Unlike the congestion charge the ULEZ applies all day every day.

The ULEZ policy is designed to deter the more polluting vehicles from driving in the zone in order to improve air quality for all and with the evidence pointing towards the NO2 levels in London leading to more health issues, including cardiovascular problems.

I hope this helps even though it may not have been the response you were hoping to hear.

Kind regards
Colin

Colin Smith
Programme Manager – Freight & Clean Vehicle Retrofit Certification
Group Transport

Energy Saving Trust | 30 North Colonnade | Canary Wharf | London | E14 5GP

Sent: 15 November 2019 14:51
To: CVRAS <CVRAS@est.org.uk>
Subject: Rover 4-cylinder K-series engines

Dear CVRAS team,

I am writing to ask about certification for my 1996 MGF. It currently has an EU2-compliant K-series engine and engine/emissions management system. I can up-grade this to the later EU-compliant specification by fitment of the newer engine management, ignition and emissions equipment.

As you know, EU3-compliant 4-cylinder Rover K-series engines are ULEZ compliant by dint of their lower homologated NOx emission.

Can you give me the process by which I can convert my car and gain appropriate regulatory approval? (I will live within the extended ULEZ zone when it expands to the North Circular – I do not use my car for commuting, only for weekend social use).

Many thanks for your help

Rob

Click here to report this email as spam.

Here to help everyone save energy in the home.
Get your personal energy saving action plan at https://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk
Think before you print! Save energy and paper! Do you really need to print this email? Can you print it double sided?
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the addressee. The contents may not be disclosed or used by anyone other than the addressee. The Energy Saving Trust cannot accept any responsibility for the accuracy or completeness of this message. Any opinions expressed in this message are those of the sender and may not be binding on the Energy Saving Trust.
The Energy Saving Trust Limited Registered Office: 30 North Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London, E14 5GP. Registered in England and Wales No.2622374
This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. http://www.websense.com
It always amazes me that folks can avoid answering the question that is being posed - perhaps because he hasn't realised that EU3 compliant K-series comes under the NOx levels set for EU4. I have re-phrased my original question making that point explicit: I hope that retro-fitting EU3 equipment will not require VCA certification testing...

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:19 pm

Good luck Rob :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Post by CubMG » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:17 pm

There are a few motorbikes that have been tested to get exemption with success including 2 strokes and C90s It can only be done at one place that is approved by TFL and cost about £175 ,but if you live in the zone and use the vehicle /bike every day it will soon pay for itself but it only covers the one reg number ,not all similar engines .
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Gavin207 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:15 am

Just checked my '54 TF and glad to see that it is exempt, however my '74 Midget is stated as being due the charge, despite obviously being a 'historic vehicle' and so exempt. It appears their computer only checks emissions standards, and not year of manufacture, so if you have an historic vehicle you will have to register it.

Just set up a charging account and registered the Midget, and once registered it says it is Exempt, so there may be a disconnect between the checking page and once registered.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 am

CubMG wrote:There are a few motorbikes that have been tested to get exemption with success including 2 strokes and C90s It can only be done at one place that is approved by TFL and cost about £175 ,but if you live in the zone and use the vehicle /bike every day it will soon pay for itself but it only covers the one reg number ,not all similar engines .
Thanks CubMG - do you have more details about this?

I get the impression that I'll need to get my V5 modified to include the emissions exemption - figures that my EU2 MGF doesn't currently have. I wonder whether it will also have a beneficial impact on my Road Tax? :?
Gavin207 wrote:Just checked my '54 TF and glad to see that it is exempt, however my '74 Midget is stated as being due the charge, despite obviously being a 'historic vehicle' and so exempt. It appears their computer only checks emissions standards, and not year of manufacture, so if you have an historic vehicle you will have to register it.

Just set up a charging account and registered the Midget, and once registered it says it is Exempt, so there may be a disconnect between the checking page and once registered.
That's useful to know. I'll get my "historics" registered then :thumbsu:

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:25 pm

I do not know if TFl have any centres that can test cars ,you need to have the car tested and then as long as it passes you can get it listed .

This is the place that does bikes ,may be worth a call to see if they know of any where that tests cars .

Currently, Riverbank Motorcycles is the only TfL approved facility for testing ULEZ compliance. They will be accepting appointments from early April 2019 and bookings are going to be available very soon. The test will cost £175 - which is the equivalent of just 14 days riding in the ULEZ zone.

For more information, or to book a test, visit their website or call them on 020 8983 4896.
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:26 pm

Awesome, thanks! :D :thumbsu:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:39 pm

Phoned them: Riverbank Motorcycles ONLY test motorcycles. :(

According to the chap I spoke to, no one does similar testing for cars (which seems odd?)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 am

Recent article in Classic Car Weekly on this topic - I'll drop the author, Charlie Calderwood, and email and copy in Dave Andrews :)

Cross posted from https://autoshite.com/topic/38568-the-h ... -exempted/

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:16 pm

I've been chatting to Charlie Calderwood - and I am going to see whether we can follow up on this. Charlie had the good suggestion of using an IVA test centre to prove whether or not the emissions are acceptable. Charlies is going to see whether he can find out who to liaise with at TfL to get retrospective compliance data accepted.

In the mean time, I have also emails Riverbank Motorcycles to see whether they can provide me with some idea as to what process they apply.

Let's see how this pans out...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:23 pm

Slightly disappointing, but understandable response from Riverbank (I do appreciate them coming back to me so quickly!):
Hi Rob,
Im sorry all our contacts are not for the public domain.
It is up to the prospective testing company to contact TFL if they believe they have the ability to meet TFLs testing standards.
Im sorry I cannot be of further help in this.
Regards
Neil

On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 12:02 PM:
Name: Rob Bell
Subject: How to notify TfL of compliance with ULEZ emissions standards?

sadly, I know you do not cover older cars that are falling into the same trap as motorcycles in respect to ULEZ compliance, but I wonder what the process of informing TfL of compliance?

I have the plan of using an IVA test centre to get the NOx compliance data - but TfL themselves are not being that helpful in providing a clear route to retrospective approval of emissions compliance.

I appreciate that this is off the beaten track for you guys, but I wonder whether you might be able to provide some contacts within TfL etc. who would be able to help?

kind regards

Rob
(Sent via NETC)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:40 pm

Miserable bunch on that linked site.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 am

It has a certain "character" about it, yes! :lol:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:35 am

Sit rep: after a few behind-the-scenes conversations, I've now contacted the only privately-owned IVA test centre in the UK to see whether they may be interested in what might be quite a nice little money earner for them. My only concern is that they're in the Midlands, and this would be a little way off their main core business interest. We shall see.

CubMG

Post by CubMG » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:19 pm

The test result is a rolling road NOx readout , I have PMd the person who had it done to see if he has any more information.

Michael Global Moderator C90Club.co.uk 17,500 plus members .