Hardtop lining

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Hardtop lining

Post by Green Squirrel » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Got hardtop at moment (don't ask why :sf: ) but today the lining dropped -- any tips for refitting it and what glue to use :shutup:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Hardtop lining

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:53 pm

Green Squirrel

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:20 am

Thanks Rob - just the posting I need

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:14 pm

No worries :D

Good luck - probably easier than replacing the rear screen in your soft top! :)

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:28 pm

Used your guide some time ago, as the liner of the TF came down on my head. (don't want to check the status of the F's hardtop)

Removing the liner makes me wonder why should I put on new cloth and refit it?
Yes, now I have a Black roof above my heat and not a white-ish one, who bothers?
Ok, the surface is hard and not as smooth soft and well finished but still, it is OK to me.

Guess Shed doesn't have a liner ;)

Going to replace it after I sourced a nice piece of cloth
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Green Squirrel

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:39 pm

Now,Now!!!!

Green Squirrel

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:55 pm

Good luck - probably easier than replacing the rear screen in your soft top! :) I ain't done that yet either :rant: If I had I wouldn't have put the hardtop on :shutup:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:09 am

Kasper wrote:Used your guide some time ago, as the liner of the TF came down on my head. (don't want to check the status of the F's hardtop)

Removing the liner makes me wonder why should I put on new cloth and refit it?
Yes, now I have a Black roof above my heat and not a white-ish one, who bothers?
Ok, the surface is hard and not as smooth soft and well finished but still, it is OK to me.

Guess Shed doesn't have a liner ;)

Going to replace it after I sourced a nice piece of cloth
Spot on: Project Shed doesn't have a headliner. It doesn't make it go any faster ;) :lol:

Yes, you're right - no reason why you really need to fit a headliner back into the standard hard top - its only there for a touch of "luxury" and may be some sound deadening. No real reason why you couldn't just add something directly to the inner face of the hardtop moulding?

I quite like the headliner (when you're not wearing it like a head scarf when the only thing holding it up is your head) - hence why it restored it. I'm not 100% satisfied with the slightly different shade of grey I ended up with though: if I can find the right material, I may replace it again (really not hard to do!)
Green Squirrel wrote:Good luck - probably easier than replacing the rear screen in your soft top! :) I ain't done that yet either :rant: If I had I wouldn't have put the hardtop on :shutup:
Uh oh...! It took me an afternoon to do taking pictures and taking my time - a decent little project :)

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:47 am

We'll it is clear I'll put it back in, at least for the TF as that car should give me the "Luxory" feeling, thus it needs one. I'll try to get some nice cloth at the MG carshow in Houten next January.
For the F, I'm not convinced, like project shed: it does'n make the car any faster ;)
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be