TF Battery drain

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

TF Battery drain

Post by Fraser » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:38 pm

I have to now park my TF on my neighbour's driveway, so cannot now keep my trickle charger connected, (at least not 24x7). So the battery ran down over the last two months so flat my "modern" charger would not even start to charge ! So it was back over to the old charger which eventually got the charge back to normal.

The car was left locked with the alarm set. I assume this takes some current over the days and thus discharges the battery. Is there any alternative ? I am thinking of using an old Krooklock, and just leaving the car unlocked. Yet when I look inside the unlocked car the little red light keeps flashing implying a drain of current from the battery. I have to say I'd love to meet the chap who thought up the system and tick him off for stupidity.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: TF Battery drain

Post by talkingcars » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:12 pm

Disconnect the battery and then lock the car manually with the key.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:22 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:12 pm
Disconnect the battery and then lock the car manually with the key.
I would do exactly the same. In fact I do this during winter season as a standard solution. no problems with memory in the alarm system 9it is not that clever ;) )

in normal use the battery in my F and TF only survive for about a week, to remain able starting the car. A battery that has been in the car for two months without re-charging will probably be dead at they cannot live without being charged.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by Fraser » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:36 pm

A battery that has been in the car for two months without re-charging will probably be dead at they cannot live without being charged.
Er, well no; the battery charged up perfectly OK and off we went on a New Year Day toddle into Shropshire and Wales. Now I know it is OK to disconnect the battery, that is what I will now do. Thanks everybody.

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm

Ditto all the above.

Because my TF tends to now only be used on high days, holidays and for the occasional track day, I fitted a battery isolator switch. No issues now even though the car is often unused for several weeks at a time - especially this time of year!
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:14 am

Mike H wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:31 pm
Ditto all the above.

Because my TF tends to now only be used on high days, holidays and for the occasional track day, I fitted a battery isolator switch. No issues now even though the car is often unused for several weeks at a time - especially this time of year!
:thumbsu:
That is the convenient way to do it, As having older MG's as well, :D I installed them after checking they weren't equipped with a bypass for the radio. That wouldn't do no good. ;)
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be