cambelt tensioner vvc trophy

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
on the knoll
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Trophy

cambelt tensioner vvc trophy

Post by on the knoll » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi all, Just replacing the belts/tensioner & water pump, doing it myself this time and just need to confirm the spring & pillar bolt is removed once i have set up the tension, the workshop manual is not the easiest to follow and the last cambelt i replaced myself was on a mk3 Cortina :lol:

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: cambelt tensioner vvc trophy

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:10 pm

I believe that the workshop manual advises their removal (and why the new tensioner will have this supplied with it), but I've seen them left in place on plenty of occasions without obvious ill effect...

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:59 pm

Thanks Rob i will resume tomorrow its getting a bit chilly out there for us southerners :thumbsu:

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm

My advice would be to leave the pillar bolt in place, but secured with some thread lock. It’s a pig to remove and worse to refit come the next service.

The spring on the other hand should be taken off. I keep that in the “special tools” drawer. You wouldn't want that one go awol inside the cam belt cover.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Mykel wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:29 pm
My advice would be to leave the pillar bolt in place, but secured with some thread lock. It’s a pig to remove and worse to refit come the next service.

The spring on the other hand should be taken off. I keep that in the “special tools” drawer. You wouldn't want that one go awol inside the cam belt cover.
+1 to the above - completely agree! :thumbsu:

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:40 pm

left the pillar in place & removed the spring as advised all back together now ,all belts,tensioner & water pump fitted plus new p/plugs for good measure along with its annual spring service, started first time, just need to heal the skinned knuckles from the crankshaft nut & tensioner bolt :lol:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:55 pm

Cars always demand their pound of flesh :lol:

on the knoll

Post by on the knoll » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:06 pm

very true but after watching flipping bangers and all the common faults on a TT i don't think our cars are any more awkward to work on than more modern kit.