Nearside front suspension leak

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
zaph2
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Nearside front suspension leak

Post by zaph2 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:47 pm

We have an MGF which keeps sinking on the nearside, couldn't find any leaks, bit of a mystery. So I put some UV dye in the system to see if we could locate the problem. Well it sank again, once again no sign of any leak, till I used the blacklight.

The area in front of and to inside of the front nearside tyre lit up like a Christmas tree. There is a leak somewhere in that area. Has anyone got ideas what the most likely candidate is?

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: Nearside front suspension leak

Post by Mykel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:58 pm

Pressure tube maybe?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm

Have you removed the black plastic cover under the bonnet? The tube from the nearside filler valve to the sphere may be ruptured but only leaking when the suspension moves and over pressures; guess how I know.....

zaph2

Post by zaph2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:22 pm

Charless wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:27 pm
Have you removed the black plastic cover under the bonnet? The tube from the nearside filler valve to the sphere may be ruptured but only leaking when the suspension moves and over pressures; guess how I know.....
We have and with the dye the leak should show up.

My guess is a leaking suspension displacer.

zaph2

Post by zaph2 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:34 pm

Had it apart and found the problem. The displacer is blown, it has been fitted with a Mike Satur schrader valve, fitted like a tyre valve. The fluid had blown through this valve, indicating an internal failure.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:09 pm

Are you sure that it isn't the valve itself that has failed?
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:47 am

talkingcars wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:09 pm
I doubt it James - there's no way the fluid could get to the nitrogen egg unless the dividing membrane has failed.

With a Mike Satur re-gassing nipple, how much of the valve is inside the 'sphere? I'd be worried that the failure may be during fitment.

When the rear sphere failed on mine, it leaked outwards and downwards towards the displacer cone and knuckle joint.

It is possible that front 'spheres fail differently - particularly if you've hit a pot hole or a sleeping policeman by accident at speed...

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:13 pm

Rob Bell wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:47 am
talkingcars wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:09 pm
I doubt it James - there's no way the fluid could get to the nitrogen egg unless the dividing membrane has failed.
Surely even if the membrane has failed, the fluid shouldn't get past the valve?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:51 am

Nothing should be getting past the valve, unless the valve has been opened, or is faulty. To me, this sounds like a double fail :(

zaph2

Post by zaph2 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:53 pm

My guess is the failure mode is due to how the valve was fitted. It was fitted like a tyre valve to a rim, except such a system wasn't designed for this application. The valve failed, releasing all the nitrogen, the membrane was compressed by the fluid in the system and failed. The fluid then leaked out of the failed valve.

It wasn't a massive leak, we only spotted because we filled the system with UV dye. Using a UV light it fairly easy to see where it had been leaking.