Horn Not Working - Help

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Tasng4
MGF Register Region: Europe

Horn Not Working - Help

Post by Tasng4 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm

Hi,
I have a 2000 MGF and the horn switches on the steering column don't work, the horns themselves do work as they sound when the alarm goes off.
I have removed the air bag but can't figure out how to get at the horn switches. They used to work but were always a bit flakey. I checked the fuse in the front compartment (labelled horn/stop lights), funilly enough the stop lights work with the fuse removed.

I've tried a multimeter on the connector behind the airbag but can't seem to get a reading.

Any ideas?

C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Re: Horn Not Working - Help

Post by C-J » Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:54 pm

Tasng4 wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:33 pm
Hi,
I checked the fuse in the front compartment (labelled horn/stop lights), funilly enough the stop lights work with the fuse removed.
Hmmm. In my simple mind that would suggest to me that either there is a 2nd circuit to the brake lights or crossed wire / earth leak / additional power source leaching in somewhere. Or that despite the label, that is not actually the correct fuse. I know that my ZS handbook had some incorrect info relating to headlight bulb positions, but wasn't aware of any other mis-labelling.

When you remove that fuse, does anything else stop working?

The only other thing that springs to mind is that on my ZS the horn did occasionally blow the fuse - at which point the horn and brake-lights stopped working. After happening loads (10 fuses in 1 year), it then hardly happened again. (Nb: Most of the 10 fuses were when I tested it rather than aggressive horn use). I have no idea why it started or how it largely repaired itself.

I don't really get on well with elec-trickery though so best ignore all the above!

Tasng4

Post by Tasng4 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:27 pm

I think I found the problem, there's no earth connection on the 'slip ring' behind the steering wheel (part YRC100300). Now I have to find one and they're not cheap new.

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:09 pm

Quite a few reasonably priced on eBay?
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:54 pm

There are several connections through the rotary coupler (aka slip ring) that are unused in the F/TF, they are there for stereo control and cruise control in the Rover 45.

You can use one of these to carry the earth across the rotary coupler.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Tasng4

Post by Tasng4 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 am

Mmm, I hadn't considered moving the pins in the plugs. Not sure how easy that would be as the pins are quite delecate. But as others have suggested there are a few on Fleabay at the moment.

Thanks for all the suggestions.