Oil change on MGF 1.8 VVC

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Doccombe
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Oil change on MGF 1.8 VVC

Post by Doccombe » Tue May 26, 2020 4:41 pm

Hi all, this is my first MGF. Have had it now for 6 months with little use due to winter months and now Covid-19. I have decided to perform a service which would also be the 1st time I have performed any car servicing, have got all the parts but was wondering how others drain the oil. I have read that the car needs to be on a level service, with the car being on the drive there is little room to go under to remove the sump plug. Is it best to have the car on 4 axle stands.

Any advise is very welcome.

Thanks

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: Oil change on MGF 1.8 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed May 27, 2020 10:14 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I normally drain the oil with all wheels on the ground.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Gavin207
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by Gavin207 » Thu May 28, 2020 7:42 am

I do mine with the rear wheels on ramps, on the basis that with the drain plug on the 'front' of the engine having the rear wheels higher will ensure better draining. Also it's much easier to get at the oil filter from underneath.
MG TF 2004
MG Midget 1275
Morris Minor
MG BGT 1978

Doccombe
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by Doccombe » Thu May 28, 2020 6:14 pm

Had a look today, the oil tray I was given is too tall to fit under the car on the drive, the trolley jack won’t fit under...

Managed to locate a slim container to catch the oil... went to remove the sump plug no joy. I don’t think I have enough leverage with the amount of space. Looking at ramps do you need to get low profile ramps or will standard ones work for the back? On a positive side I changed the air filter, spark plugs and the fan speed resistor.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sat May 30, 2020 8:19 am

Standard ramps work on the back but not the front. When you do get the sump plug out don't fret about the copper washer, reuse it like I have for 15 oil changes on one of mine.
Also keep the old spark plugs 'just in case'. They were designed to last 50k but I have had more than 100k out of a set with perfect engine running.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sat May 30, 2020 12:56 pm

Your local Machine Mart will sell you Ramps and extensions to facilitate the initial lifting of the car. I also bolt a piece of angle iron across the garage floor to stop the ramps slipping.
As a "Beginner"you may buy a MGF Repair Manual from the Register Shop. This gives you nearly all of the info needed in particular the required Torque Loads (The amount that you must tighten the nuts, bolts etc.) This is important as large threads (like plugs) are easily overtightened causing the soft aluminium thread to fail.
I started helping out at a local garage.I learnt a lot. No pay but I had use of their tools and car lift to maintain my Restored 1937 Austin 7 Ruby.
Geoff.F

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sat May 30, 2020 3:20 pm

In the old days I used to use the car jack to lift the car enough to get my trolley jack under but then I bought a low trolley jack from Halfords that easily slides under the car.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Barbour
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 2002 TF 135 LEF PUU

Post by Barbour » Sat May 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Charless wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 8:19 am
Standard ramps work on the back but not the front. When you do get the sump plug out don't fret about the copper washer, reuse it like I have for 15 oil changes on one of mine.
Also keep the old spark plugs 'just in case'. They were designed to last 50k but I have had more than 100k out of a set with perfect engine running.
Never go cheap on maintenance, "pennywise, pound foolish" but keeping them for spares is a good idea. But I've seen bad plugs ruin engines that where deemed indestructible.

Also, the copper washer is cheap, reusing it won't break things, make sure to clean everything, the worst that can happen is leaking.
Cheers!

Safety fast, S3XY, Born from jets...

Xpower grey 2002 MG-TF 135 SP CP
Steel grey 2003 Ford Mondeo Estate Centennial
Blue 2019 Tesla Model 3 SR+
Anthracite 1998 MG-F 1.8 Mpi (sold)
Silver 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate (sold)

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sat May 30, 2020 10:26 pm

I’ve done an oil change on our 2010 TF today I jacked it up to give a bit more room & boy did I need it as although I’d bought a filter removal tool (74-76mm 15 flutes) the filter wouldn’t move & the new tool kept slipping so I reverted to the chain type I have & although a PITA to use it loosened it sufficiently to use the new tool on a ratchet I had to use a 3/8 breaker bar on the sump plug which I fitted with a new washer & torqued to 25nm as I once bought 10 off eBay & at current use age rate it will be 2030 before they’re used up!
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun May 31, 2020 8:15 am

1 cooper washer from Halfords is £2, a box of many mixed cooper washers including about 10 of the correct size is £8.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Sun May 31, 2020 8:31 am

For over 20 years I've used http://www.stahlbus.com/products/en/oil ... /index.php self sealing drain valves on all 3 vehicles. We had a Rover 25 TD before the Skoda Yeti - but the main dealer services this now as the sump guard needs removing first which can be a bit fiddly :roll:
It does make draining out the oil more tidy - the flexy tube can be pre located in the drainage container before screwing in the tube male connector to release the oil.

Other makes of valve are available, mine are brass bodied, but it appears the new ones are steel. They have all been 100% reliable - the dust cover is "O" ring sealed and is hand tightened enough to stop it loosening. The real seal is the spring loaded plunger in the main body of the unit.

Self sealing hose couplings have been around for decades in aviation fuelling, hydraulics, air lines, motorsport etc and are well proven.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k