Pscan tuning features: How do the "Trim 2" buttons work?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Pscan tuning features: How do the "Trim 2" buttons work?

Post by jonaf » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm

Do the "Trim 2" buttons work in closed loop mode? Can they be used to tune exhaust CO content to pass MOT?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Pscan tuning features: How do the "Trim 2" buttons work?

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:52 pm

Not quite sure which buttons you mean Jon - can you screen shot and upload what you mean here?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:53 pm

Also, you mention you need to trim the CO for your annual inspection: do you have the exhaust emission numbers - you shouldn't really need to trim the ECU to get these engines to pass.

jonaf

Post by jonaf » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:04 pm

Rob, this is the "Tuning features" page I am referring to.

I do not know how my CO is at present because my Gunson analyzer is not able to read the value exactly. But on the last MOT the tester had to make a fast run down the road to heat the cathalyst in order to make it pass.
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2020-09-10 16.51.56.png
Skjermbilde 2020-09-10 16.51.56.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 445 times

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:19 pm

Heating the catalyst is sometimes all that is needed :)

Log the Lambda live feed - this can give you a good idea as to the state of the catalytic converter...

You probably saw this post on "tuning" MEMS1.9? https://mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic ... 8&p=189640

This menu on pscan has been reverse engineered from Testbook. Honestly, I don't know what it does? I thought that the trim levels were adaptable according to the ECU learning fueling from the Lambda feed and adjusting accordingly? I didn't know it had some other adjustment... interesting!!!

jonaf

Post by jonaf » Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:19 pm

Rob,
After some playing with the Trim 2-buttons with an O2-analyzer connected I think they indeed work only in open loop. The CO values are not affected in closed loop. Leaning out the mixture by three steps gives a noticable poorer acceleration. Two steps more ignition advance and one step more richness felt like slightly better throttle response so I saved this setting.
Would sure be fun to play with the pscan with the car on a dyno some time!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:35 pm

That makes sense Jon :)

When I went to the rolling road, I dragged Philip along - and he was playing with the fuel and ignition timing. I don't remember it being called "Trim 2" - but that was on an earlier release (or pre-release) of this particular page.

It certainly is fun playing with the fuel and ignition timing on the rolling road. I had the benefit of a wide-band lambda in the exhaust to ensure that we did not go too lean. Unfortunately there is no pink-sensor on the K-series, but we advanced the ignition to gain about 3 bhp, but then knocked it back a little to be safe. :)

So go for it - get on a rolling road and tweak away! :thumbsu: