Alarm issue

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Alarm issue

Post by cococola » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm

My alarm was going off randomly on my 2000 F,once or twice a day with no reason. I locked the door with my key and the alarm didnt go off in 2 days,however I now find my central locking doesnt work on the key or the button remote.
Any ideas please?
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Alarm issue

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:26 pm

If you have a pscan, you can get into whether all the micro switches are functioning correctly.

Random alarms are generally stray microwave energy or a wiring fault. Wiring faults are typically with the boot loom (cable insulation cracks after years of flexing as you open the boot) but issue here points to an issue with drivers door lock or cabling?

cococola

Post by cococola » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:26 pm

Thanks Rob I will borrow a pscan and test.

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Roverlike » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 am

Do not forget that alarm can be triggered if car battery goes low on voltage too ...

cococola

Post by cococola » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:55 am

yes I put a new battery on previously thinking I may have a problem with the battery.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:06 am

Is the car a Japanese Re-import as They have a different Fob Frequency which I recollect can pick up interference. ??
Geoff.F

cococola

Post by cococola » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Im not sure Geoff but the fob is the old squarish shape if that helps?

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:10 am

cococola, sounds like you have a Lucas fob - which can have 2 frequencies.

This article is very relevant and shows how you can identify yours by looking at your ecu outer casing label. (It's a bit more difficult looking inside the fob, it seems...) It's penned by our very own Rob Bell

http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/DIY/se ... /index.htm

Hope this helps

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:34 am

In order to identify on which frequency your fob works, you need to open fob and look for the resonator element on the pcb. In case of 3TXA, 3TXB and 3TXC fobs resonator is round one on the same side where the battery is. In case of 3TXD and 17TN fobs resonator is square on on the opposite side of the battery.
If you have round resonator with numbering 1239 then frequency is 315 MHZ. If you have round resonator with numbering 1207 or square resonator with numbering 2701 frequency is 433 MHz. Sorry, but atm I do not know what is the numbering on square resonator for 315 MHz, but if you have numbering which is not the one I mentioned, upload the picture of numbering on the resonator and we will see what is the frequency.

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:38 am

cococola wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:58 pm
My alarm was going off randomly on my 2000 F,once or twice a day with no reason. I locked the door with my key and the alarm didnt go off in 2 days,however I now find my central locking doesnt work on the key or the button remote.
Any ideas please?
If your central locking is not working that might be because of burnt track on alarm box PCB. If this is the case, alarm box need to be opened and inspected and in some cases it can be repaired.

First thing I would look for is broken or bare wires below boot hinges. That could trigger your alarm, but also could lead into problems with your alarm box.

Have you managed to borrow pscan and look into potential errors?

cococola

Post by cococola » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:50 am

I will do all of the checks this weekend with broken wires but so far I havent been able to source a Pscan although with my car as a keeper i ought to have one.