no spark

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
dods
MGF Register Region: North East

no spark

Post by dods » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm

hello I recently purchased a 1996 mgf which had been stood for approximately 4 yrs the lad said it started when dry dont ask it only sparked very intermittently so I have replaced the coil ecu plugs ht leads rotor and cap crank sensor and have got no further forward looking forward to using the car so anyone who has experienced anything similar all help would be grateful also replaced fuel there is fuel at the plugs so definitely a spark issue thanks

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: no spark

Post by Charless » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Do you have near equal compression in all four pots? When was the cam belt last changed? Has it run since then? In a similarly laid up car recently I found the fuel quality to be a factor and the fuel pump pressure even more so.

dods

Post by dods » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:20 pm

number one is slightly down to the others don’t know about cambelt it’s ran after about 20 mins of turning over

dods

Post by dods » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:22 pm

Charless wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:29 pm
Do you have near equal compression in all four pots? When was the cam belt last changed? Has it run since then? In a similarly laid up car recently I found the fuel quality to be a factor and the fuel pump pressure even more so.the fuel is not a problem it’s pumping fine i have no spark or very intermittent

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 am

I would check the power supply to the coil, is it getting the full voltage?

dods

Post by dods » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:36 am

RobboMC wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:28 am
I would check the power supply to the coil, is it getting the full voltage?
it is yes

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:33 pm

dods wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm
........ so I have replaced the coil ecu plugs ht leads rotor and cap crank sensor.....
You changed the ECU? Which one?

dods

Post by dods » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm

what do you mean which one

dods

Post by dods » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:36 pm

guessing not many people on here have had problems with there cars

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Post by jonaf » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:34 pm

dods wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:35 pm
what do you mean which one
The engine ECU has to be paired with the immobilizer SCU to
work.
Last edited by jonaf on Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dods

Post by dods » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:55 pm

the immobiliser is going off so it’s paired getting power to the coil and crank sensor blows my mind how it’s not running lol

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:01 am

Have you drained the old fuel or put plenty of new fuel in to dilute it? What numbers do you have for compression? When it ran could it both rev freely and tick over?

"guessing not many people on here have had problems with there cars"

Lots of us have with our own and with other people's cars; but you have to help a bit by giving back some information too.
Or you can view a massive archive of posts by using keywords in the search box at the top right of the page.
Many very helpful people will read posts but may not necessarily post a reply until they have enough information to be certain or that the advice will be understood or followed. We are all volunteers here, nobody is obliged to post!

dods

Post by dods » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:27 am

when it ran it was a bit lumpy then settled to a nice tick over and revved ok then next morning wouldn’t start until you nearly flattened the battery i will try a compression test again as i forgot the readings

dods

Post by dods » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:17 pm

180 180 180 150 the 150 is from the driver side

Charless

Post by Charless » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:06 pm

Thanks for the update - it sounds like a car I recently worked on with old fuel. It was very reluctant to start but ran better when warmed up. Does it have an MOT and can you take it out on the road for an Italian tune up, plus getting some newer fuel through it and maybe some injector cleaner?

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:54 pm

dods wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:36 pm
guessing not many people on here have had problems with there cars
calm down, this isn't facebook, you get quality answers, not quick crummy ones.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:59 pm

dods wrote:
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:02 pm
hello I recently purchased a 1996 mgf which had been stood for approximately 4 yrs the lad said it started when dry dont ask it only sparked very intermittently so I have replaced the coil ecu plugs ht leads rotor and cap crank sensor and have got no further forward looking forward to using the car so anyone who has experienced anything similar all help would be grateful also replaced fuel there is fuel at the plugs so definitely a spark issue thanks
As you alluded to in a later post, this is not a common problem. These engines are (with the exception of head gasket issues) bomb proof and electrically very reliable.

Interesting that there is no spark.

Slightly worried that you have replaced the ECU (I presume the engine management system - from the description above, it'll be MEMS1.9).

The concern is that the ECU is coded to the emobiliser, so a quick swap of just the engine ECU will not work - but you may have also replaced the SCU, fob and MEMS1.9 ECU as a bundle to avoid this issue.

If the engine is not firing, and everything else is known to be good, my next port of call would be the crank position sensor.