Intermittent starting

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Humpty
MGF Register Region: Europe

Intermittent starting

Post by Humpty » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:25 am

Hi guys, I have a worry at the moment with my early VVC. The car will sometimes start and cut out at once. There have been times when I have had to wait before trying again. My first thought is for the fuel filter, but I have no records from the previous owner. It runs fine once it is started.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Intermittent starting

Post by Charless » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:47 pm

I shouldn't worry about the fuel filter if the car will rev happily and/or pull normally on the road. In 15 years of multiple F ownership I never came across poor starting and I haven't had to change the fuel filter in 187000 miles.
However recently working on a car with old fuel I have encountered it and could only dilute the problem with fresh fuel and injector cleaner.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:54 pm

It always is in use and never has a chance for the fuel to get stale. I might try a tank of higher octane though. currently on E95. Someone suggested that the choke or its modern equivalent might be sticking, but I think that is wrong as it is the same with a hot engine.

Swampy
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1998 MGF VVC

Post by Swampy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:01 pm

I know they’re hard to get to but, what do the spark plus look like? The firing end should be light brown/grey if the plugs are happy. Black gungy plugs may be an issue.

I had starting issues & replaced the plugs (over 5 years old) problem solved. Gapping will only work for so long.
Green 1998 MGF VVC road/track car (Green machine)
Blue 1998 MGF VVC garden ornament (to be a track car - Smurfette)

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:09 pm

They looked fine when I did the head gasket last year.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:36 pm

A sudden cut out like this sounds rather electrical in nature - which may point towards the multi-relay pack or the inertia switch - I'd just go round checking all these.

Sometimes the ignition switch can cause problems too.

Might be helpful to log the engine data - if the live data cuts out, then power to the MEMS2J ECU is being interupted.

Humpty

Post by Humpty » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 pm

I have a simple diagnostic reader if that helps.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 pm

Humpty wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:37 pm
I have a simple diagnostic reader if that helps.
Mk1 VVC is OBD1 so can't be read with an OBD2 reader, you need a T4 or a www.pscan.uk
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com