Missing relay socket

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RN558
MGF Register Region: North East
Model of Car: 1.8i (1996)

Missing relay socket

Post by RN558 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:11 pm

Hello, help needed as per usual here.

Bought a hardtop and getting ready to connect up HRW. Purchased relay and switch as per the advice from everywhere. Relay arrived today, went to slot it in and there is no socket there :o . Had a look around and can't see anything hanging around loose. Anyone got any ideas as to why it is not there or where it might be ? Oh and how to solve the problem !

The car is a Mk1 MGF.

Thanks in anticipation.

Roger

jonaf
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '96 1.8i

Re: Missing relay socket

Post by jonaf » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:03 pm

Fusebox under dashboard lh side: Bottom right relay socket.

RN558

Post by RN558 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:17 pm

I looked in the place shown on all the images I could find but there is no socket there. There are 2 filled sockets and then nothing. Going to have a good look up behind the fuse box tomorrow as a quick look showed nothing.
The connection for the switch is behind the centre console as expected and the link on the rear shelf. So I suppose I just need to look harder up into the footwell.

Roger

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:49 pm

Just take a look https://mgfregister.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20602 as said, you are not the only one ...

RN558

Post by RN558 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:56 pm

The second picture in that thread is exactly what I see. Need to dig around behind the fuse box. Pleased I am not the only one. Missed that thread when I was looking !!!
Wonder how many don't have the relay in the 'expected' position ?

Thank you

RN558

Post by RN558 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm

After a bit of twisting and turning I found the socket well hidden in the wiring behind the fusebox. Both relay and switch now fitted.
Relay put back in where the socket came from with a cable tie to hold it in place (see picture). Wonder when this was attached to the fuse box panel rather than hidden away ? As Roverlike said above I am not the only one, just don't see it mentioned. Maybe all the early F owners don't bother with hardtops. Thank you.

Roger
Attachments
backinplace.jpg

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:51 pm

Glad you found it and it is working!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:37 pm

RN558 wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:46 pm
After a bit of twisting and turning I found the socket well hidden in the wiring behind the fusebox. Both relay and switch now fitted.
Relay put back in where the socket came from with a cable tie to hold it in place (see picture). Wonder when this was attached to the fuse box panel rather than hidden away ? As Roverlike said above I am not the only one, just don't see it mentioned. Maybe all the early F owners don't bother with hardtops. Thank you.

Roger
I was late to the party, but what you did was what I was going to suggest! :lol: All MGFs have this relay socket. But whether it was clicked into its fuse box bay depended on whether the car was ordered with a hard top... The vast majority were not - although dealerships sometimes ordered cars with a hard top only to use that hard top on another car as a dealer-fit option (ask me how I know that! :lol:)