Leak into boot

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Leak into boot

Post by ZSx » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:47 pm

I have a small leak in the boot, enough to make the bottom of the carpet wet, but I cannot seem to find the source.

I assumed it might be the lights, but there is no sign of any water ingress through the light seals or any marks etc to say water has run down from the lights. Additionally its only the bottom of the carpet that is wet, the sides are dry.

I think I am going to get some new uprated seals for the lights anyway, but are there any other common areas I should investigate while I am drying out the carpet and working in that area anyway?

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Re: Leak into boot

Post by Neil Rushton » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:59 pm

You could try the old talcum powder method sprinkle it in the boot & wait for the water trails to show up, On the plus side if it doesn’t work your boot will smell nicer :D
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:58 am

I had a leak years ago on one side which I traced to capillary action in between the spot welds in the area over the top of the rear light cluster - in the rain channels. I dried the area out with a hair dryer and used household paint to "seek" it's way into the cracks. I wiped off the excess paint, and it's been fine ever since. Seam sealer would have been better, but a tin of old paint was to hand and cheaper :roll:
Obviously no idea if this applies to your car, but worth investigating.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:02 am

There's lots of places that it could be leaking from but many would have manifested long before now. If it is a recent problem, then my first guess would the the seals around the lights.

Talcum powder is a great suggestion, I used this method to find leaks on my wife's F this past summer and I found many leaks due to a poorly repaired shunt to the rear right corner. You will have to remove the carpet first.

The reason you only see it at the bottom is because the back of the carpet is extremely smooth, somewhat melted plastic, probably from the moulding process, so the water just runs down it and collects at the bottom of the boot.
SAM_4130.JPG
The leak is actually in the body work below the light from poorly repaired bodywork
The leak is actually in the body work below the light from poorly repaired bodywork
Water coming in around seem, not light gasket
Water coming in around seem, not light gasket
Mark

ZSx
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGF VVC & MG ZS T16

Post by ZSx » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:39 am

Thankyou all, some great suggestions... I will have to buy some talcom powder now ;)