MOT missions fail

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

MOT missions fail

Post by Charless » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:41 am

I recently failed the MOT on fast idle with a '99 MEMS2J VVC which is bog standard original fit bar an unidentified SS exhaust fitted this year after the OEM one fell apart.
KJS emissions fail 161120.JPG
I was expecting to find an air leak when I took the lid off but nothing presents as obvious, no leaking gaskets or damaged lambda wires.
My next move would have been to pick up a new cat from ECP today but they don't show them for Fs any more. The car is booked in for some wheel bearing and bush work at the MOT garage on Tuesday and it would have been good to get the retest done at the same time.
Has anyone any thoughts about the High CO/low Lambda symptoms?
Could a shot cat cause the low Lambda? Or a duff Lambda screw the mixture beyond the cat's control?

NigelOBB
MGF Register Region: North East

Re: MOT missions fail

Post by NigelOBB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:50 am

Charless wrote:I recently failed the MOT on fast idle with a '99 MEMS2J VVC which is bog standard original fit bar an unidentified SS exhaust fitted this year after the OEM one fell apart.
KJS emissions fail 161120.JPG
I was expecting to find an air leak when I took the lid off but nothing presents as obvious, no leaking gaskets or damaged lambda wires.
My next move would have been to pick up a new cat from ECP today but they don't show them for Fs any more. The car is booked in for some wheel bearing and bush work at the MOT garage on Tuesday and it would have been good to get the retest done at the same time.
Has anyone any thoughts about the High CO/low Lambda symptoms?
Could a shot cat cause the low Lambda? Or a duff Lambda screw the mixture beyond the cat's control?
Was the car properly warmed up, both water and oil needs to be up to temp. A good Italian tune up normally sorts it. then get it on the emissions tester before it cools down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigfootmgf
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8

Post by Bigfootmgf » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:06 pm

Mine failed on emissions and it turned out as the sensor on the manifold apparently! I had high co2
Paul

Mod's cost money that you don't have or you could have if you did not have mods!

Bigfootmgf youtube Channel
SE MGF Facebook page

Charless

Post by Charless » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:45 pm

You may be closer Paul, I had a look with pscan and found the 'oxygen sensor voltage' which should be constantly varying between about 0.2 and 0.8V is sitting rock steady on 0.45V. Even when I only look at the one sensor so that the sampling interval is the shortest possible. I could be wrong but would conclude a stuffed Lambda sensor and feel the garage would be best suited to change that! It may also be that the cat has passed away as well; but hopefully not - fingers crossed!

NigelOBB
MGF Register Region: North East

Post by NigelOBB » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:29 pm

You can sell your old cat it will pay for the new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 am

I think this is a Lambda fault.

You can use the pscan to collect telemetry for the Lambda. I did this on my Land Rover Freelander with the 1.8 K-series (MEMS3 - MEMS1.9 and MEMS2J will provide similar telemetry):

The blue trace is the pre-cat Lambda, the orange the post-cat Lambda. You should get a fluctuating signal as shown in the figure above. An old, failing Lambda will typically give only a signal when it is warm, often with a lower amplitude fluctuation of signal.

If the Lambda signal is appropriate, then this is likely a failed catalyst, but Lambda is easier* and cheaper to change.

[* when I say easier, that is not exactly to say it is easy, as you know they often become effectively "welded" into the boss!]

Charless

Post by Charless » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm

I know what you mean Rob. I judge it 'easy' enough to let the garage have a crack at it tomorrow amongst a couple of wheel bearings and some bushes!
Clean hands, empty wallet! Support your local small businesses!

I didn't try the pscan log but the trace was rock solid under all conditions so I am pretty certain that was the problem.
I think it is the first time I have used upgrade 042B which has MEMS 2J with 'Oxygen sensor voltage bank 1' and 'Oxygen sensor voltage bank 2'.
Bank 1 has a voltage readout but zeros for bank 2 - was this the first implementation of the KV6 or early pre MEMS3 two lambda systems? On my MEMS 1.9 cars 042B shows just one 'Oxygen sensor voltage' and displays the expected voltage oscillating - and would probably log like your blue trace above. I am sure this was the legend with previous versions of pscan on MEMS 2J but might be wrong.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:47 pm

Good plan! Is it fixed?

Not used pscan for a MEMS2J yet: my MGFs are both MPi - so I don't know, but that [MEMS2J capacity to run a V6 or V8 with 2 separate banks of cylinders and therefore 2 Lambda sensors] is a possibility? :??

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:05 pm

Charless wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:43 pm
......... was this the first implementation of the KV6 or early pre MEMS3 two lambda systems? .......
I don't know about early ones but the ZS and ZT KV6 used Seimans 2000 ECU.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Charless

Post by Charless » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:16 am

The Lambda had come apart leaving no flats on the probe to extract it from the manifold. The garage managed to get it out but destroyed the manifold thread in the process, so I provided them another manifold. It is now back to normal and the retest passed after a large bill which included replacing both rear wheel bearings and polybushing the back end. I will do the (easier) fronts myself sometime...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:48 pm

Charless wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:16 am
The Lambda had come apart leaving no flats on the probe to extract it from the manifold. The garage managed to get it out but destroyed the manifold thread in the process, so I provided them another manifold. It is now back to normal and the retest passed after a large bill which included replacing both rear wheel bearings and polybushing the back end. I will do the (easier) fronts myself sometime...
Glad it's done now! :thumbsu: