EKA code woes

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

EKA code woes

Post by ArntyR » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:20 am

Hi All. Mindful of having TF135's EKA code and (thankfully, so far) not having had to use it, I thought I ought to familiarize myself with it and tried to make it work today.

Each time I got the wailing alarm (it's a SAIC TF135 so can't unhook horns :?) mid-way into the key process number so I 'bailed-out' and locked it with the fob to curtail the racket.

I'm sure I was following the correct procedure. Should I have 'toughed it out' and completed the noisy process despite annoying the neighbours?

Anyone done this 'properly' that can advise?

Thanks in anticipation

paul_mgb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Re: EKA code woes

Post by paul_mgb » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:24 pm

I don't think the EKA code works on the Chinese cars. That section of the handbook was removed. My friend tried and couldn't get it to work after I copied the pages from my handbook. Contacts at the factory couldn't decide whether it should work or not. We came to the conclusion that the relevant micro switches weren't in the lock. Rob Bell probably will know more. Having said this I tried the EKA code on my 05 MY and had a lot of difficulty getting through the sequence.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:32 pm

Thanks paul_mgb. Yep, not in the handbook; there's no EKA code info card present in my driver pack, either. I thought it might have been lost but it might explain a lot :o. I wonder if any 'SAIC/Motors' owners can confirm these missing bits?

(Might certainly make it more imperative to keep on top of remote batteries and Pektron relays...)

Yep I had similar difficulty with my '05 TF a few years ago. I can't remember that there was a good outcome.

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:37 pm

I must admit to not looking for the EKA code for my car. Will try and remember to do so at the weekend. I guess if an EKA code shows up when a PScan is connected to the car you should be able to use it to disable the immobiliser, but who knows...
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:52 pm

Hi nigelandjo. Thanks for your prompt reply.

I've P-Scanned my current TF and the EKA code shows up. (Actually the same EKA code on my current new standard SAIC ecu as well as on my 'spare' standalone MGR ecu that replaced the faulty ecu I discovered after I bought he car) so, no, (grateful but) I don't feel this seems to guarantee that it'll work. It'd really useful, though, if you tried your EKA process when convenient and reported back...(and/or any curious other SAIC/Motors owners, please?)

I suppose this suggests that the EKA code is carried in the scu and is (only) read by the ecu. I can try my 'spare' MGR ecu and see if it responds to the EKA process. I tried this time last year with the MGR unit but I seem to remember having exactly the same troubles - although that attempt was complicated by a sticky door keylock :( which I fixed, but didn't think to follow through on the original EKA problem.

paul_mgb's conclusion about missing micro switches sounds a good 'un so far; for sure, something seems to be be missing.

Any feedback/knowledge welcome...

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:53 am

I spent many months back in 2014 trying to resolve this issue of the EKA codes with Chinese cars. Despite many discussions with many knowledgable people, both face to face and by pm (and ArntyR you may remember you were one!), I never did get it to work.

Nick at Austin Garages told me that they had worked on two Chinese cars, managed to extract the codes from both, but in testing them could not get them, to work. He commented that usually the alarm went off half way through the second number.

One thing that I never got to the bottom of was that he discovered if the EKA has a 9, 8, 0 or ends with a 1 it will never work, although he also told me that recoding the EKA with T4 he managed to get it to work perfectly. I never could!

My car is actually at Wilcox this week being MOT'd, so I might have a chat with Jon to revive the topic...

I'm not holding my breath.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Roverlike
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Roverlike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:04 am

One thing to have in mind is that you can change EKA code in alarm box with pscan tool as well. So you could record your/new EKA code into alarm box and try with that code. The same way as you would with T4.

However, when I noticed you ask this question on another forum, I also thought that EKA code is not going to work on TF from China, IIRC..
Last edited by Roverlike on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:06 am

Hi MikeH. Thanks, that 'adds a nail to the coffin' of SAIC EKA claims! (sorry, don't remember chatting about it, tho'. I didn't get my SAIC TF135 'til Sep '18...)

Yep, I've just experienced Nick's alarm action mid-way through the process too, twice in succession. I didn't want to get locked out for 10mins on the 3rd try!

I 'found' my EKA number in Jan '20 when Technozen upgraded my scu relays (wondered why no EKA card/code in owner pack) It ends with a '2' so this might be added to the list, I fear.

I can remember reading about some anomaly with the final number and something about some EKAs responding to 'adding an extra 1 to it(?)

I must say I've been recently thinking of recoding mine to something more easily memorable using PScan. If this works it'll support Nick's T4 discovery. Perhaps this is a better first move than trying the spare MGR ecu to see if EKA function is missing from the SAIC map. I can't really see that the door locks would be 'different' but if the new SAIC map was 'hastily assembled' (as was intimated by a remap expert) it might explain a few things.

Yes, please share Jon's thoughts; I'm eager to add meat to the 'bones' and ever more curious to highlight SAIC/MGMotors differences.

(I can't honestly believe that MGMotors would knowingly discontinue such an important function as EKA without any form of advice after the acquisition - and initial model continuation - of such a revered brand, can I? :o )

Edit: Just 'pipped' by Roverlike ;)

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:10 am

Note also that EKA code has nothing to do with engine ECU. EKA code is feature for entering in your car with only key. EKA code is stored in alarm box and pairing of engine Ecu with alarm box has nothing to do with EKA. If it does then when you change EKA code you would need to do another pairing session of engine ECU with alarm box.

Adding 1 to EKA code has sense in case of older alarm boxes and in case EKA is not read from alarm box.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:51 am

Thanks Roverlike, this is making more sense now.

My previous '05 TF alarm could be silenced by disconnecting the car horns but (as I found out one Sunday morning!) the SAIC TF has a different system which 'squeals' hysterically, can't easily over-ridden (unless a working key remote is to hand) and doesn't involve the horns. I wonder, then, if the new system isn't (in some way) supported by the old EKA?

And yes, you've convinced me that I don't need to try the MGR ecu now thanks. I'll try the EKA recode process later; it makes more sense to have an easily memorable code (...IF it works...) rather than a random code written down on a piece of paper.

So, was the EKA code ever provided to SAIC owners? Was it a 'forgotten'/misplaced function? Were there numerical errors? - Curious for answers.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm

An update: I just used PScan to change the code to a new one but it wouldn't let me have a 1 as my final figure, it kept jumping to 2. I didn't want this.

So from there I entered my original factory code and increased the final figure by an extra 1 thinking this would be a new code. No joy, wailing alarm mid-way through the second digit entry. I toughed it out to finish the fourth digit. No joy, Went back into house to get key fob and unlock to switch it off + turn ign on to reset otherwise it re-locks.

Then back into the house with fob out-of-range, re-entered original factory code and repeated. Same again wailing during second digit, went back in, got fob, switched off + reset.

Not getting anywhere atm :(

Not wishing to argue Roverlike but it's making me think that the EKA might be part of the scu rather than the alarm box - and that the ineffective EKA code number might be a carry-over from the previous scu system, which doesn't support the out-of-the-way alarm box system behind the plastic apron?

Roverlike

Post by Roverlike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:10 pm

ArntyR wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:15 pm

Not wishing to argue Roverlike but it's making me think that the EKA might be part of the scu rather than the alarm box - and that the ineffective EKA code number might be a carry-over from the previous scu system, which doesn't support the out-of-the-way alarm box system behind the plastic apron?
Not sure what you saying. SCU is alarm box in case of TF. Even China one. Further have you enter new ECA code into SCU or not? If you managed to do so, but you cannot enter EKA to stop the alarm that may be case that EKA cannot be used to remove alarm by key.

markvrs
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by markvrs » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:57 pm

Hi, I have a SAIC MG TF, and EKA code will not work either.

One of the main differences from MG Rover to SAIC models was approval to Thatcham 1 Security for legislation / insurance.

Auto Re-lock of doors after 30 seconds if door not opened, Auto Lock on drive off, separate alarm siren with separate battery back up, steering lock shroud, single press super locking (deadlocking). I assume at the same time they disabled external lock SCU override as well as a security feature.

Technozen can reprogram some of these feature on the SCU as it is a programable generic model used on other cars. He has a list of what he can change on his website

Cheers, Mark

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:10 pm

Ah...okay gottit - the alarm box IS the scu. Thanks. I thought you meant the black boxy alarm unit behind the plastic apron where the alarm now is.

Yes. From stock EKA I tried for a personal code ending with a 1 but each time it went straight to a 2 so I rejected it. (I could get 1's elsewhere but not in the fourth digit)

Using PScan I rolled each of the digits around, one at a time and ended up with the same three digits as 'stock' but with the fourth increased by +1 which I reckon should be a different code. Tried EKA with the key but alarm sounded midway through the second digit again and I cancelled it by getting the fob.

I then rolled it around back to the original code, same first 3 digits but the fourth was -1 - ie back to the same as the original 'stock' code. Alarm sounded just as before and needed switching off like before...

So now I've left it back in 'stock' EKA code thinking that so far there has been no link between any 4-digit number and the EKA process on this car. (When I recently put the new standard SAIC ecu into the car I made it learn - learnEMS' in PScan) - the immobiliser and PScan subsequently read the correct EKA code that Technozen quoted)

...I also thought that EKA code is not going to work on TF from China, IIRC...I think you 're right but why would the EKA process be withdrawn without notice by MGMotors? What would happen if your fob stopped working properly while you were out shopping? Who would have the tools to take out the front black plastic apron and know out how to disconnect the screeching alarm? (I still don't) OR find out if there's an alarm fuse to remove that'll stop the piercing screech that would cycle every 30s? (I did a quick check of the fuses under the driver panel and none of them seemed to be obviously an alarm fuse...) My alarm went off in a supermarket car park in a previous TF. I was able to use the battery 'kill-switch' to stop it almost immediately but you can't kill the alarm by disconnecting the car battery on a SAIC TF... :oops: It has to be unlocked using a working fob and if not I suppose the car would have to be trailered away?

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:19 pm

Thanks markvrs, that solves the issue then.
I only hope that our scu + 2 fobs don't fail.
It'll screech 'till the back-up battery flattens, have to be trailered away and the scu and fobs replaced with a new or matching set once the car has been damaged by being smashed into, I suppose unless there's a fuse somewhere. Back to the owner handbook...
Last edited by ArntyR on Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ArntyR

Post by ArntyR » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:42 pm

Thanks markvrs, that solves the issue then.
I only hope that our scu + 2 fobs don't fail. I suppose it'll screech 'til the back-up battery flattens, have to be trailered away and the scu and fobs replaced with a new or matching set - EXPENSIVE...

Fuse 23/15A in the passenger compartment OR fuse F5/15A in the underbonnet box should stop it but I'd rather use the EKA and drive it home to 'sort' it...