Window zip in the roof

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
SASteve
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia

Window zip in the roof

Post by SASteve » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:32 pm

Hi
The handbook for my 2002 TF states that when lowering the roof I should unzip the back window and lay it as flat as possible on the parcel shelf before folding the rest of the roof down. Pretty clear. The problem I have is when putting the roof back up I can’t get the zip done up past the first corner (top right, facing the back of the car). Has anyone else had this problem?
Two questions: is it really necessary to unzip the window at all? If so, what am I doing wrong to make it so hard to get the zip done back up?!
All suggestions welcome, I struggled for nearly half an hour with this a few days ago, I must be doing something basic, wrongly!
Thanks in advance.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Window zip in the roof

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Do you fit the window before latching the front.???
Geoff.F

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:47 pm

The window should be un-zipped to enable it to lie relatively flat when the roof is folded.

To re-zip the window fold the latches out so that they rest on the top of the catches when you fold the roof forward. The roof is then not in tension and you can zip the window up more easily. Once you've re-zipped the window you can then re-set the latches and lock the roof down.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:54 pm

The reason for unzipping the plastic window is to preserve the plastic. If you regularly fold the hood without zipping out the screen then the plastic folds in the middle. This isn't that problematic if it's nice and warm, apart from the friction and wear which eventually dulls the plastic and hampers rear vision but the first time you do it in the winter the screen will most likely crack. Then you're stuffed.

It's important to release the tension from the hood before unzipping and to re-zip before latching the hood down.

Unless you've got a glass screen of course... I have unzipped my glass screen on a very hot day but run with the roof ON to let some air through. It gets hot down here.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:25 am

This is why you unzip the window before folding the roof:

old back window.jpg
This was a new hood with a new back window when we got the car,
we didn't bother unzipping the hood when folding the roof down and 4 years later I was replacing the back window.
new hood.jpg
Now I unzip every time!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:16 pm

When I had a plastic rear screen and I wanted to lower the roof I would reach in to the car and release the catches and start to open the roof.
I wood then make sure the screen was starting to roll with no creases before fully opening the roof.
I even did this in -2' snow with no problems.

I only unzipped twice, the first time I lowered the roof and then I couldn't get it done up again, and the only time I used a hardtop and new it the soft top would be down for a few months.

The plastic screen gets brittle if you let it oxidise and get cloudy. Keep it clear and supple through regular polishing with graygate polish.
Or fit a glass screen.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:44 am

In well over 200k miles with my Fs, top down far more of the time than not, I never unzip but I always fold the window down carefully ensuring a constant curve as it folds. If any sign of a crease starts, I reopen it a little and carefully press it out so there is always a constant curve. I also put the roof back up often without latching if I am leaving the car for any length of time.
Two of my cars have their original screens 22 and 26 years later, the other one had a window crack 13 years (170k miles) ago.
I suspect being left down, when not driving, for any length of time (particularly when crushed beneath a hard top for months) is far and away more damaging. So I would suggest unzipping is a completely unnecessary faff if you are careful; it was probably put in the handbook to head off any possible claims!

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm

In the 10+ years I have owned my F, I've never unzipped the rear window before putting the hood down but I do have a large bath towel that I fold/roll up and put on the window as I start to put the hood down, which helps ensure that the window curves as the hood is lowered and have never put a crease into the window material.
Mark

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:56 pm

mowog73 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:12 pm
In the 10+ years I have owned my F, I've never unzipped the rear window before putting the hood down but I do have a large bath towel that I fold/roll up and put on the window as I start to put the hood down, which helps ensure that the window curves as the hood is lowered and have never put a crease into the window material.
So correct. Albeit these days I run a "F GT" viz I removed the hood and only have a hardtop, I used a piece of water pipe insulation foam to fold the hood window for at least 15 years.
Geoff F