E10 petrol from September 2021

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Fraser
MGF Register Region: North West

E10 petrol from September 2021

Post by Fraser » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:28 am

Government has announced rollout of E10 petrol from September. The higher octane stuff at 98+ RON will stay at E5, so they say, but I'm not aware that the high octane stuff has any ethanol at all at the moment.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fuel ... 021-launch

There is no info on MG cars on the DfT checklist. My car is a 2009 TF made by MG Motor. Hopefully they'll have some info.
Last edited by Fraser on Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

CubMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2001 MGF

Re: E10 petrol from September 2021

Post by CubMG » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:47 am

The French have been using e10 for a few years and my 2001 1.8 mpi runs ok on it , you can smell the difference in the exhaust .
Mondeo Ghia with Zetec S bodykit ,MGF mk 2 ,Morris Minor Bikes C90mg ,Piaggio Xevo +4 others :?

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 pm

From the Gov't w/s:

There is no compatibility information available for older MG’s up to 2005 when the company ceased trading. It is therefore recommended to use E5 petrol.

The MG brand has returned more recently, but no compatibility information is available. Owners should contact their dealer, the manual or filler flap for further information.

I'm still not sure if my vehicle is E10 compatible
If you're not sure if you can use E10 in your vehicle:

check the vehicle owner's manual, the instructional booklet is specific to your vehicle
look inside of the fuel filler flap
ask the car, motorcycle or scooter manufacturer
If you're still not sure, use E5 petrol. It will still be available in the super grade at many filling stations.

Looks like E5 then...

ps At risk of thread hijack does your Motors TF have a high tickover, too frequent engine fan and no EKA code?
I'm asking because this seems to be yet another 'difference'... MGMotors TF owners seem loathe to share (or don't seem aware of) the significant differences with MGR and, like my own experience of trying to work the EKA code, seem to have to find out the hard way...

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:00 pm

/Off Topic
ArntyR wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:26 pm
ps At risk of thread hijack does your Motors TF have a high tickover, too frequent engine fan and no EKA code?
I'm asking because this seems to be yet another 'difference'... MGMotors TF owners seem loathe to share (or don't seem aware of) the significant differences with MGR and, like my own experience of trying to work the EKA code, seem to have to find out the hard way...
I don't think anyone is loathe to share information. I think the issue is that many 'Chinese owners' are not aware; they have what they have, and know no different. It's only those of us who have come from MGR F's and TF''s who notice the different features. I agree the EKA code (or lack of functionality) could be an issue, but I personally don't have any problem with a slightly higher tickover or engine fan that runs on for longer after switch off.

/On Topic
I've always run my F's and TF''s on Shell Optimax or VPower or whatever it's called now, primarily for the detergent properties. I shan't change ;)
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:29 pm

IIRC London Taxis were at one time available with the K-series, and these typically ran high-ethanol content fuel (I am sure there are threads on this in the BBS archives). Fundamentally, the K-series should be fine.

Ethanol however can cause corrosion of metals (water content I think) and chemical damage to rubber and I guess potentially plastics too. My hunch is that the MGF and TF (and most MG Rovers) will likely be fine, but ideally you'd want to do some testing or think about swapping over fuel lines (the flexible sections on our MGs are pretty short in fact) to ethanol resistent versions. Probably not too difficult to do. :)

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 pm

My 2 SAIC TFs are due their service and MoT in September, so I'll see what the dealer has to say then. Depending on what they say I'll make a decision for the older MG Rover cars.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:52 pm

Our two 1995 Fs have been in Canada for over 10 years now and have been on a E10 fuel diet for all of those 10 years and there have been no issues with the fuel system related the E10.
Mark

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:39 pm

In France I run my 97 'F' on 98E5 as I've been reluctant to try the E10, but it's somewhat reassuring to hear that after 10 years on E10 there have been no issues. Thanks for the update.

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:50 pm

According to the European Automobile Manufacturers Association all Land Rover petrol vehicles manufactured from 1996 onwards are fully E10 compliant. Given that the Freelander uses the 1.8 litre K series engine one could assume from that that the MGF/TF are also E10 compliant. I haven't seen anything official to the contrary.

List of EU compliant vehicles here:

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publication ... BILITY.pdf

Relevant extract: Land Rover: E10 petrol is cleared for use in all Land Rover vehicles with petrol engines starting from model year 1996.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:34 pm

I used E10 for our first euro trip, some 3000 miles visiting 8 countries, in 2013. At the following MOT I had a massive fail on emisions. I don't know if the two are connected but if 95ron E5 isn't available I will use 97/98/99ron E5.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:48 am

I should add that our Fs, until just recently, had to go through a biannual emission test and they passed every time, and our emission limits were very similar to the numbers I have seen mentioned in the UK. The provincial gov't did away with emission tests about 3 years ago.

In terms of no issues related to E10, I mean that there have been no plastic fuel pipes/hoses that have gone soft, or started weeping fuel. No fuel hose to pipe connections have started weeping fuel and I have not discovered any o-rings that have turned to mush, like at the injectors.

I do make sure that the fuel tank is full of fuel and I do add a fuel additive that is supposed to negate some of the effects of E10 before putting the cars away for the winter (they live a pampered life).
Last edited by mowog73 on Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:00 pm

Thanks Mark, that is really useful to know. And yes, absolutely right about the Freelander with the 1.8K (although I thought Canada only got the KV6 version officially?)

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:04 pm

The Freelander did only come fitted with the KV6 to Canada, no 1.8K. It was Reckless who mentioned the Freelander, not me.
Mark

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:28 pm

I happen to know you're a Canadian FL1 expert Mark! ;) :lol:

mowog73

Post by mowog73 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:28 am

Closer to a D1 expert (certainly lower case e 'expert'), but thanks Rob, nice of you to say :lol:
Mark