SS EXHAUST SYSTEM? MGF MK1

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Orion
MGF Register Region: Midlands

SS EXHAUST SYSTEM? MGF MK1

Post by Orion » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:32 pm

Does anyone know if my top spec SS exhaust system is OEM or what is it? The removable oval tail pipes look like it. The CAT is not a CAT at all, it is a straight through muffler, sort of De-CAT. The flow through the actual rear box is also straight through, so it has a long pipe doubling back along side the sports CAT position. I have had the system almost 10 years now and it is still shines like new. Mounting hooks are both fixed which most are these days, not good if your mounting blocks fixings are rusted. Being on my 1998 VVC when I brought it 10 years ago, I don't know how old it is? Cheers
Mk1 MGF SS system type.jpg
Orion

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: SS EXHAUST SYSTEM? MGF MK1

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:12 pm

Not OEM, but could be a TT Mark 1, 2 or 3. Hard to see from the angle of the photo.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

Orion

Post by Orion » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Hi Nigel OK will add some more pics, would love to know what set up it is. Cheers Orion

Orion

Post by Orion » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:02 pm

6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Orion

Post by Orion » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm

Hi Had a look at the first TT exhaust systems, they WAS very basic and much smaller box (NOT NOW). same sort of principle being a straight through design though. Mine has a proper CAT size muffler again straight through like a better sounding De-CAT tube. Like I said the SS is like new after years of use which is due to the SS spec being so high. The main tubes are not as good but no rust anywhere yet. This could only be a top notch race system? Has passed an MOT sometimes but always a worry. So I swap the CAT just for that time now to be sure. The things you have to do these days!

Steve White
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:29 am

The materials used are not unusual for an aftermarket exhaust, so I suspect its probably one that has been made up by a custom exhaust manufacturer.

Orion

Post by Orion » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:53 am

Hi You may be right as I cannot find one like it anywhere on any search. But should out last the car :? At least it goes well sounds great and not orange in the middle. Thanks everyone you have confirmed what I suspected, it could be a one off track type system. Cheers Orion

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:39 am

Orion wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:09 pm
Hi Had a look at the first TT exhaust systems, they WAS very basic and much smaller box (NOT NOW). same sort of principle being a straight through design though. Mine has a proper CAT size muffler again straight through like a better sounding De-CAT tube. Like I said the SS is like new after years of use which is due to the SS spec being so high. The main tubes are not as good but no rust anywhere yet. This could only be a top notch race system? Has passed an MOT sometimes but always a worry. So I swap the CAT just for that time now to be sure. The things you have to do these days!
I did wonder about that "catalyst" section! K-series will scrap an MoT pass without a catalyst, but can be marginal!

The box looks well made - not sure if it is a later TT desgin or not - but the silencer box itself looks much larger than that used on TT systems. Nice tail pipes. Not a Mike Satur/ Miltech is it?

Orion

Post by Orion » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:10 pm

Hi Rob When you look through this cat it is open, an inner tube from one end to the other with dotted holes, looks just like a muffler small box. But on the outside just a normal SS CAT, would fool an MOT tester. But there again the cheaper non approved CAT that I have brought in the past, that rattle after a year due to the ceramic catalist rattling loose, would if bashed out be a hollow de-CAT in a way too but louder and look OK to an MOT tester. But as you say there is no way you can be sure it would pass? So to be safe fitting a cheap CAT just for the day is an annual event to keep the sound and performance I assume it gives me? Yes I looked at the early TT systems and they have a much smaller cross section of the box, at some stage they must have gone bigger though. Not looked at the Mike Satur type but this would be going back to about 2010 time. I update the rest of the system with SS branch manifold and flexi section last year for about £120ish off Ebay as I needed a new sensor anyway for better emissions as well. Emissions are tight on these cars so helps if you can find a garage that know about these things and can be realistic on the test, rather than just want to fail everything!

Orion

Post by Orion » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:55 pm

BTW people seem to po po the need for the exhaust band between box and cat, I was not sure but events have convinced me it does have an importance on Mk 1 MGF's anyway (non-approved). The cats just seem to shake the catalist loose inside so it's scrap without the band tie. The band must be there to stop vibrations, probably an after thought. I hope I am right as all the early cats BM90440 are made to the same standard (rubbish).
So get strapped up if I was you!