Boot lock

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Boot lock

Post by Db09 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:34 pm

Hi
My boot lock will not turn I've cleaned it out still.the key does not turn .
I have followed the electric wire from the lock to left hand side od engine bay .
All seems OK.
If the electric wire has broken would that stop the key from turning ?

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: Boot lock

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:01 pm

Plus Gas and insert and remove the key many times or buy a replacement RH rear light.
There is a pull cable between the key and the lock. The electric is only for the alarm.
Geoff.F

Db09

Post by Db09 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:06 am

Hi Geoff
Did that had to smash rear light in .
I'm trying to keep it as original as I can.
Trying not to replace lock .
Used gas gas key still won't turn .
Cheers Bob

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:21 am

Hi Db09. A while ago I had a totally-seized driver's door lock and after days of unsuccessfully trying the key + spraying lube in the lock I found I could only free it by removing it completely from the car to get lube around the tumblers.

I soaked it for a couple of days in a jar of paraffin, then dripped masses of 'release oil' through it, silicon spray too, gently prying, easing + turning with the key until finally it relented. Then I soaked it in a jar of gear oil for a day or so 'for good measure' - still turning and easing it with the key regularly and I now squirt release oil down the lock quite regularly, sometimes silicon spray instead (through the plastic tube), to keep it well-lubed.

Sorry, but I don't think you can do enough to release it in situ - I think you need to surround the tumblers with masses of lube as you gradually ease it free with the key.

Like you I thought it was worth the effort to keep the original key, though I did get a used lock + key 'just in case'...

Hope this helps.
Last edited by ArntyR on Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:50 am

You used to be able to buy a specified key number lock. I have two boot lids. One original and a 2nd drilled to take the stainless rack and fitted case
Speak with Rimmer Bros. They still offer numbered door locks. They are/were made in France as mine came direct from the manufacturer.
Geoff.F

ArntyR
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 2010 TF135 Style

Post by ArntyR » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:03 pm

That's good info. Either way I reckon it's gotta come out. I haven't done this before and would be interested about the process.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:49 pm

Do you have your Key Number ???
On new delivery MGFs came with two cards (credit card size) They showed the VIn No. and codes for Keys, Radio, Locking Wheel Nuts and Immobiliser Override. I laminated one and it has been in my wallet for 20 years.
If you do not have the Info then go to www.radiocodes.co.uk and pay for them.
Geoff.F

Db09

Post by Db09 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 pm

Cheers for the information guys .
I've bought a new lock .
I. Going to soak the old one till it works then put the old one back on .
Then at least I'll have a spare .