MG TF Poor Starting & Running

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
colin10419
MGF Register Region: Scotland

MG TF Poor Starting & Running

Post by colin10419 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:15 pm

Good evening TF owners,

I am new to the TF world, currently running a 66 BGT and converting a 1980 to a V8, so not a clue about the TF engine.

I am being offered a cheapish 1600cc 2004 TF that appears to have a starting/running problem as its main reason for being for sale. It doesn't appear to be too serious a problem, but I wonder if the collective mind could assist?

The seller has sent me this write up:

"When engine is cold, turn the key and it will do a single firing and stop, repeat attempts to start will only turn the engine over and over.

It will only fire up and run on a warm day if the coolant temperature sensor and the ambient air temperature sensor are disconnected. (It starts and runs on first turn of the key).

The sensors can be reconnected and it will continue to run. It can be stopped and restarted without any problem.

However when the engine is run for a considerable time (10 mins.) it runs very rough.

If the engine is allowed to cool down it will revert back to square one.

To try and eliminate the fault the temperature sensors have been changed out I have also changed out the IAC valve on the air manifold with no noticeable change."

Any ideas? Should I steer well clear? Or is it an easy fix?

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Re: MG TF Poor Starting & Running

Post by nigelandjo » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:06 pm

Welcome to the MGF Register forum. My first port of call would be to see what fault codes are showing via the OBD port and a code reader. This should give some pointers to the issue.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:15 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

My guess there is a faulty sensor somewhere.

I have a www.pscan.uk scanner which is perfect for this sort of job.
Pscan has a forum at www.the-t-bar.com

Keep us updated on how you get on.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Post by John SS » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:21 pm

Doesn't sound like anything mechanical so shouldn't be an expensive fix, once you've found the problem. Guess it depends how cheap "cheapish" is?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon May 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Certainly a sensor fault - I was thinking initially this is perhaps a crank sensor or cam position sensor error, but disconnecting other sensors (and presumably entering some kind of "fail-safe" mode) is throwing me a bit. Probably disconnecting the temperature sensor plugs is making the ECU fuel as a "cold start".

If we can get the ECU interrogated (ideally with a T4 or pscan code reader), then we shall be in a better position to know what is going on...